Vince Piekarski has substantial experience in the areas of finance, energy, real estate and business. Examples of his work include:
- Financing: Represented lenders in both construction and permanent financings for numerous commercial properties. Represented borrowers in project financings for bulk unloading and loading facility at Barbers Point Harbor on Oahu and for power plant on Guam.
- Problem Loans: Represented lenders in working out defaulted loans, including: negotiating and documenting settlements with sureties and contractors following surety takeover of construction of luxury condominium project; deed-in-lieu transactions for large hotel and shopping center; and exercise of pledge of controlling stock interest in corporation. Successfully represented guarantor against lender’s attempt to enforce commercial loan guaranty.
- Power Purchase Agreements: Represented utility in negotiating and administering power purchase agreements ("PPAs") for both scheduled and unscheduled electric energy, and in obtaining approval of such agreements from the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission.
- Business and Real Estate: Experience includes: outsourcing substantial back office operations for major Hawai‘i financial institution; variety of transactions for purchase and sale of operating assets; motor vehicle distributorship and dealership contracts; development, operation and disposition of major commercial properties; and lease rent arbitrations.
- Construction: Represented owners, contractors and designer-builders in a variety of major construction projects, including an engineering, procurement and construction contract ("EPC") for a biofuel facility on the Big Island of Hawaii. Author, "Architect, Engineer and Design Contracts" in the 1997 edition of the Hawai‘i Real Estate Manual.
Mr. Piekarski has been awarded an AV® rating by the Martindale-Hubble Law Directory and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of "Real Estate Law." Before joining Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel in 1982, Mr. Piekarski spent two years (1978 80) as a foreign law consultant with the Tokyo law firm of Matsuo & Kosugi during which time he negotiated and documented a wide variety of international transactions.