Tris Mallett’s practice focuses on corporate litigation, class action defence and securities enforcement. He frequently advises clients on contested merger transactions; take-over bid litigation; shareholder dissent and appraisal litigation and shareholder derivative claims; securities misrepresentation, fraud and insider trading matters; prosecutions undertaken by regulatory authorities and industry organizations; and related internal investigations. Tris also defends class action claims usually in the securities, competition/anti-trust or product liability areas. These class action defence engagements are often multi-jurisdictional and cross-border in nature requiring strategic coordination with counsel in other jurisdictions including most frequently the US and Europe. Tris has acted in proceedings before various courts in Alberta, Ontario and B.C.; federal and appellate courts; and before a variety of administrative and regulatory tribunals as well as in various arbitration settings.
- Defending BP plc in a proposed securities class action commenced in Alberta arising from the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion and subsequent Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- Defending Facebook, Inc. in a proposed securities class actions in Ontario, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Quebec arising from Facebook's initial public offering (IPO) in the United States; and in a proposed privacy class action in British Columbia concerning Facebook's "sponsored stories".
- Groupon Inc. in a proposed class proceeding in Alberta alleging Groupon's vochers violate consumer protection legislation.
- Securities dealers in defence of class action and institutional investor claims for misrepresentation in connection with public offerings of and trading in securities.
- Issuers, corporate officers and directors and securities industry participantsin internal or regulatory investigations, and in prosecutions by securities regulatory authorities.
- Foreign state-owned international energy company in defence of proposed investor class action alleging insider trading and conspiracy.
- Defending Elpida Memory, a major international manufacturer of DRAM chips, in proposed class actions filed in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. alleging price-fixing in the manufacturing and distribution of DRAM chips.
- Defending a proposed class action against computer printer manufacturer Epsonunder provincial consumer protection laws for alleged misstatements about the capabilities of certain computer printer cartridges.
- Defending Imperial Tobacco in health care cost recovery actions filed in various provinces in Western Canada.
- Defending Merrill Lynch Canada in a proposed class action alleging mismanagement of client accounts.
- Defending a consumer product manufacturer in a proposed class action under British Columbia consumer protection laws and federal Competition Act alleging misrepresentations about the effectiveness of an over the counter medication.
- Defending pharmaceutical companies multi-jurisdictional consumer class actions.
- Defending a major airline in defence of class action proceedings in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. alleging price-fixing in the air cargo industry.
- Representing PetroKazakhstan in a long running dispute with Russian energy giant, Lukoil, concerning their joint ownership of JSC Turgai Petroleum, which holds significant energy assets in Kazakhstan.