Tom's practice includes experience in the federal income taxation of business transactions and business entities, including formations, mergers and securities offerings of partnerships (publicly traded "master limited partnerships" and private) and joint ventures and dispositions of interests therein; oil, gas and mineral transactions; mergers, acquisitions and spin-offs of corporations; royalty trusts; real estate investment trusts; and financially troubled entities, including financial institutions.
- Tax Counsel to underwriters on Susser Petroleum Partners, LP IPO.
- Tax Counsel to Cordillera Energy Partners III in its merger with Apache Corporation.
- Tax Counsel to Blackstone Capital in its $1.0 billion joint venture with Alta Energy, L.P.
- Tax Counsel to Energy Transfer Partners and Regency Energy Partners in their joint acquisition of LDH Energy.
- Tax Counsel to Rose Rock Midstream, LP IPO.
- Tax Counsel to underwriters on PetroLogistics LP IPO.
- Tax Counsel to Quintana Capital Group in connection with its acquisition of the general partner of Genesis Energy L.P.
- Tax Counsel to American Infrastructure Group in connection with the formation of American Midstream Partners L.P. and the acquisition from Enbridge Energy Partners L.P. of several intrastate and interstate pipeline systems.
- Counsel to acquirer in tax-free acquisition of $7 billion publicly owned energy services company.
- Tax Counsel to issuer MLP on over 30 initial public offerings; Tax advisor to underwriters on over 35 MLP initial public offerings.
- Multiple MLP and follow-on MLP equity and debt public offerings and multiple MLP acquisitions and dispositions.
- Multiple issuer and underwriter representations in MLP IPO and follow-on MLP equity and debt public offerings and multiple MLP acquisitions and dispositions.
- Tax Counsel to acquirer, target, controlling sponsor partner or special committee on five MLP to MLP mergers.
- Tax Counsel to MLP, controlling sponsor partner or special committee in several MLP IDR restructurings.
- Multiple special and conflicts committee engagements involving MLP acquisitions, dispositions and recapitalizations.
- Counsel to Canadian seller in auction and sale of U.S. assets to U.S. MLP.
- U.S. seller of $3 billion, 50% interest in U.S. energy logistics corporation to Canadian purchaser.
- Construction and design services acquirer in taxable acquisition of target company.
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy trustee of Bank of New England Holding Company.