As a young lawyer, Tom Christian was fortunate to work with and learn from some of the best trial lawyers in Alabama. That experience has resulted in Tom’s very successful career as a trial lawyer. Having tried well over 100 cases to verdict and arguing numerous significant appeals before the Alabama Supreme Court and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, he now leads other Christian & Small attorneys in the mastery of their trial skills.
Tom’s trial experience has run the gamut, from personal injury/wrongful death cases to complex commercial disputes. He has tried cases in almost every Alabama county and all three federal district courts in Alabama. He has successfully handled a number of mass tort matters and other significant litigation, including most recently, trying the first Average Wholesale Pricing (AWP) case filed by Alabama’s Attorney General and receiving a total victory for his client in the Alabama Supreme Court.
Tom is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and The International Academy of Trial Lawyers, and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Less than fifteen Alabama attorneys are members of all three of these invitation-only trial lawyer groups. He is a former president of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association and the Birmingham Bar Association. He has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America® for 23 consecutive years, and is consistently voted by his peers as one of the Top 50 Alabama Attorneys in Alabama Super Lawyers®.
Professional & Community Involvement
- American College of Trial Lawyers: Fellow
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers: Fellow
- American Bar Foundation (ABF): Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates: Associate
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC): Member
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Past President
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- Birmingham Bar Association: Past President
Awards & Recognition
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers USA for Litigation: General Commercial (Band 1)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for more than 25 years in the fields of medical malpractice defense, personal injury litigation defense and product liability litigation defense, 2014 Birmingham Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® 2008-2010 in the fields of civil litigation defense (2008-2015), personal injury defense (medical malpractice) and business litigation
- Listed as one of the Top 50 Alabama Lawyers in 2008, 2009, and 2011 – a list comprised of the lawyers who received the highest number of points in the Alabama Super Lawyers nomination, research and blue ribbon review process
- Selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s list of Alabama Litigation Stars in the fields of commercial litigation, medical malpractice, personal injury (2010 – 2015)
- Served on the faculty at the 2009 Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA) Bibb Allen Memorial Trial Academy
- Recognized by B-Metro magazine as a “Lifetime Achiever” in its 2015 “Top Flight Lawyers” issue (March 2015)