Tom focuses on real estate income tax matters, structuring and implementation of U.S. and international asset securitization and mergers and acquisitions of corporations. He also advises clients on Texas taxes, and on federal income taxation issues and their impact on partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations, S corporations, real estate investment trusts, fund formations, hedging and other derivatives, bankruptcy matters, renewable energy, asset-backed and mortgage-backed securitization and REMICs. In these matters Tom often represents pension fund advisors, tax-exempt organizations, real estate investment trusts, private equity firms and hedge funds.
Tom has provided income tax advice involving:
- $240 million, 2.3 MW Wind Turbine Project with 30% U.S. Treasury Cash Grant
- ¥ 100 billion "Samurai" bond offering in Japan
- $6 billion acquisition of publicly owned energy services company
- $400 million volumetric production payment taxable as a debt obligation
- Initial public offering of hospitality REIT and numerous follow on offerings
- $350 million convertible senior secured notes featuring an interest "toggle"
- $100 million convertible senior notes with contingent interest
- $1 billion multifamily joint venture between a REIT and real estate developer involving an acquisition from a sovereign fund