Tom Budd is an English qualified partner in the London office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher where he serves as Co-Partner-in-Charge of the office. He is Co-Chair of the Firm's Global Finance Group.
Mr. Budd has more than 20 years of experience in a wide range of banking, capital markets and restructuring transactions, with particular expertise in corporate lending and syndications, acquisition finance, structured finance, trade finance, real estate finance, securitisation, capital markets transactions and debt restructuring transactions. He has represented borrowers, sponsors and banks and financial institutions.
Mr. Budd also has substantial experience in the establishment and financing of real estate investment funds and other co-investment vehicles (including limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, joint venture companies, unit trusts and FCPs), representing investors, sponsors, management and debt finance providers.
Mr. Budd's practice also includes representation of companies and creditors in debt restructurings and workouts.
Representative clients include The British Land Company PLC, Barilla Holdings S.p.A., Hagemeyer N.V., London & Stamford Investments Limited, Hercules Unit Trust, Schroder Exempt Property Unit Trust and Schroder Property Investment Management Limited.
Mr. Budd is a regular speaker at conferences on banking and finance topics. He is widely recognised by the professional press as one of the leading lawyers in his fields of practice, for example UK Legal Experts 2012 recommended Mr. Budd as an expert in the area of bank lending, Chambers UK have ranked him as a leading lawyer for real estate finance in their 2005-2015 editions (noting that he is “a highly regarded finance lawyer”), Best Lawyers International recommend Mr. Budd in the field of real estate finance (2009-2013), Best Lawyers UK recommended Mr Budd for real estate finance in 2014, and he is recommended for property finance, and mentioned for commercial property and commercial property (hotels and leisure) in the 2014 edition of Legal 500 UK.
He is a member of the City of London Solicitors' Company and the International Bar Association.
Representative recent matters include representation of:
- Barilla Holdings S.p.A., in connection with €1,750,000,000 committed term and revolving loan facilities arranged by Bayerische Hypo- und Vereinsbank AG – Milan Branch, BNP Paribas Succursale Italia, Citigroup Global Financial Markets Limited and The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Milan Branch;
- Hagemeyer N.V. in connection with €545,000,000 committed term, revolving and letter of credit facilities arranged by ABN AMRO Bank, Rabobank, Fortis Bank, ING Bank and NIBC Bank;
- CTF Holding, Inc. in relation to the intra-group acquisition and financing of Renaissance London Chancery Court Hotel;
- Schroder Exempt Property Unit Trust in relation to its investment in City Point Master Unit Trust, a Jersey unit trust managed by Tishman Speyer, and the acquisition and subsequent disposal of City Point in the City of London;
- Hercules Unit Trust in relation to a £1,000,000,000 securitisation of 16 of its retail park properties arranged by NM Rothschild & Sons Limited;
- Hercules Unit Trust in relation to the establishment of The Gibraltar Limited Partnership with The Crown Estate and the acquisition of its initial £680,000,000 portfolio of retail parks;
- Gibraltar General Partner Limited (as general partner of The Gibraltar Limited Partnership) in relation to a £200,000,000 CMBS securitisation of its English and Scottish retail park properties;
- One Plantation Place Unit Trust in relation to a £460,000,000 securitisation of One Plantation Place in the City of London.