Mr. Tallerico represents clients in complex commercial litigation and arbitration, nationally and internationally, particularly matters involving the auto industry, professional liability, securities, distribution relationships, and antitrust law.
Mr. Tallerico has extensive experience representing major corporations, including financial institutions and automakers, in multi-million dollar litigation involving third persons incorporated in North America, South America, the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. He has handled anti-trust cases, securities fraud/professional liability and lender liability matters for major corporations, including American Airlines, Inc., The American Medical Association, a joint venture of Sherwin-Williams and Hoechst AG, and numerous banks. Mr. Tallerico has also represented numerous clients on all types of fraud claims.
Significant representative matters in which Mr. Tallerico has been counsel of record include the following:
- The arbitration of disputes relating to the non-renewal of automotive distributorships in Doha, Qatar and Beirut, Lebanon. The cases involved complex contract, choice of law, and damages issues, and were decided favorably by the AAA International Center For Dispute Resolution in New York in one instance and by the London Court of International Arbitration in the other.
- The successful arbitration and litigation of disputes regarding the termination of other distribution relationships, including matters in Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Greece, Lebanon, Spain, Portugal, Japan, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and throughout the United States.
- The defense of professionals, including most of the major accounting firms.
- Litigation between a U.S. oil company and its wholly owned subsidiary in Yemen to enjoin a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer and his law firm from representing the Yemen Arab Republic (the “YAR”) in all matters in which the oil company had an interest adverse to the YAR.
- The litigation of other disputes involving persons in Switzerland, France, Italy, England, St. Martin, the Cayman Islands, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Canada.
- A wide variety of other injunctive relief matters, virtually all of which have required the rapid assessment and articulation of relevant facts and law. Jerome Duncan, Inc. v. Auto-By-Tel, L.L.C., 966 F.Supp. 540 (E.D. Mich. 1997), is one example. In that action, an automobile dealership sought to restrain Mr. Tallerico’s client, an Internet Web site operator, from terminating their contract.
- A wide variety of disputes relating to financial institutions, including defense of major lender liability claims in various courts across the country and the pursuit of claims related to frauds perpetuated by large borrowers.
Mr. Tallerico is reasonably proficient in Spanish and French. Before joining Bodman, he worked for the Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs of the United States Department of State.
Mr. Tallerico is a civil mediator and is admitted in numerous Michigan counties. He is also listed on the American Arbitration Association's Complex Commercial Dispute Panel and its International Panel. He has been appointed by AAA to serve on numerous panels, as sole arbitrator, panel member, or chairman. He is a member of the advisory board of Big Brothers-Big Sisters of Metro Detroit.