Business disputes, shareholder disputes, bank related issues, intellectual property, estate litigation and construction are among the areas of commercial litigation in which Tom Pappas practices. Tom has the skills and knowledge needed to provide trusted representation before federal and state courts and agencies to pursue or defend claims, as well as to avoid disputes before claims are brought. Tom Pappas has 31 years of experience in commercial litigation and has practiced in both District of Columbia and New Hampshire.
- Presenter of Business Split-ups: Issues Arising from Corporate and Partnership Fractures, NHBA CLE 2015.
- Presenter of Basic Construction Law: Beyond Hammer and Nails, The Next Chapter, NHBA CLE 2015.
- Business Law and Business Litigation: Why an Early Litigation Hold Is Critical for Your Client, New Hampshire Bar News, December, 2014
- Developments in the Law 2014, Civil Practice Update, NHBA CLE 2014
- Developments in the Law 2013, Civil Practice Update, NHBA CLE 2013
- Developments in the Law 2012, Civil Practice Update, NHBA CLE 2012
- Developments in the Law 2011, Civil Practice Update, NHBA CLE 2011
- Breaches of Fiduciary Duty in the Context of Business Split Ups, NHBA CLE 2011
- Advanced Construction Law - Architect and Engineering Liability, NHBA CLE 2011
- The Business Owner Died - What do I do? Litigation Aspects, NHBA CLE 2009
- A State-By-State Guide to Construction and Design Law, ABA 1998; 2008 (NH Chapter)
- A State-By-State Compendium on Trade Secrets and Non Compete Clauses, DRI 2008 (NH Trade Secrets)
- Advanced Probate: Information, Ideas, and Legal Updates Complex Litigation Issues, NBI 2008
- Legal issues for NH Professional Engineers, Half Moon LLC (2006)
- Construction Claims in New Hampshire, Lorman Education Services 2003
- Construction Lien Law in New Hampshire, Lorman Education Services,1999 and 2000
- Mechanic’s Lien’s and Construction Claims Under New Hampshire Law, Lorman Education Services 1998
- Mechanic’s Lien’s and Construction Bonds Under New Hampshire Law, Lorman Education Services 1997
- Mechanic’s Lien’s and Construction Claims Under New Hampshire Law, Cambridge Institute 1992
- In 2013, Tom obtained a verdict in favor of a bank client in a jury trial.
- In 2012, Tom obtained a successful judgment after trial in a will contest and in a title case.
- In 2011, Tom and his co-counsel obtained a favorable jury verdict on behalf of an architectural firm.
- Also in 2011, Tom successfully defended at trial the managing member of two LLC's in a shareholder dispute.
- In 2010, Tom obtained a favorable settlement at mediation of a significant shareholder dispute.
- In 2009, Tom successfully defended at trial the executor of an estate.
- In 2008, Tom successfully defended a national metal buildings manufacturer by obtaining a defendant's verdict in a lengthy arbitration involving a $5.9 million claim following the complete collapse of a 138,000 square foot manufacturing facility. Tom previously obtained a jury verdict on behalf of another national metal buildings manufacturer in a roof collapse case.
- In 2007, Tom obtained a defendant's verdict and judgment on counterclaims from a jury in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts in a breach of contract and unjust enrichment case.
- Dahar v. Jackson, 459 F.3d 117 (1st Cir. 2006)
- Clarkies Market, LLC v. Associated Grocers of NE, 332 BR. 487 (D. NH 2005)
- H.E. Construction v. Franklin Pierce College, 360 F. Supp 2d 289 (D. NH 2005)
- In 2005, Tom obtained a defendant's verdict following a lengthy trial in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Hampshire, defending claims for breach of contract, fraud, and unfair trade practices.
- B&M Corp. v. Sprague Energy Corp., 151 NH 513 (2004)
- T&M Associates v. Goodrich, 150 NH 161 (2003)
- Henry v. Fleet Boston, 2003 U.S. Dist. Lexis 18829 (D. NH 2003)
- Storage Computer Corp. v. Worldwide Domination Corp., 208 F.R.D. 474 (D. NH 2002)
- In 2002, Tom successfully defended claims for corporate conversion, fraud, tortious interference with contractual relations, breach of fiduciary duty and unfair competition, and obtained a $1.6 million judgment on counterclaims for breach of contract and misrepresentation.
- Klar v. Mitoulas, 145 NH 483 (2001)
- Alacron, Inc. v. Swanson, 145 NH 625 (2001)
- Beckley Capitol Ltd Partnership v. DiGeronimo, 184 F3d52 (1st Cir. 1999)
- Beckley Capital Ltd Partnership v. DiGeronimo, 942 F. Supp. 728 (D. NH 1996)
- American Auto Association v. State of NH, 136 NH 579 (1992)
- Tom has tried business litigation, trade secret claims, construction claims, and probate related claims in state and federal courts in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, before juries and judges.
Pro Bono Activities:
- Former Nashua Police Dept., Commissioner
- AHEPA 35, Inc. Director (senior housing)
- Cal Ripkin Baseball, former Coach
- Nashua Youth Soccer League, Coach
- Presenter of Business Split-ups: Issues Arising from Corporate and Partnership Fractures 2015, New Hampshire Bar Association's CLE, May 14, 2015.
- Presenter of Basic Construction Law: Beyond Hammer and Nails, The Next Chapter, New Hampshire Bar Association’s CLE, May 29, 2015.
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Notables: — Obtained favorable decision in 2015 bench trial upholding validity of municipal fee ordinance
Successfully represented a client in resolving a dispute among the members of more than a dozen real estate development entities in 2014
Obtained a verdict for a large national bank in a 2013 jury trial
Obtained a successful judgment after a 2012 trial in a will contest case and also obtained a successful judgment in a real estate title case in the same year