Tom Segars helps individuals and entities resolve significant and complicated commercial disputes. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of business cases ranging from fraud and embezzlement claims to corporate governance conflicts to intellectual property disputes. He also represents clients in civil rights litigation, construction disputes, and insurance coverage matters.
Mr. Segars believes that litigators must not lose sight of their clients' broader business goals and needs. Guided by that philosophy, he counsels clients in crafting and maintaining litigation strategies that are consistent with their overall business objectives. When presented with opportunities to accomplish those objectives before trial – or even before litigation ensues – Mr. Segars helps his clients evaluate and pursue those opportunities. As a result, many of his clients have saved substantial legal expenses while reaching favorable business outcomes.
When resort to the legal process is necessary, however, Mr. Segars has the experience to help clients navigate all stages of litigation, including trial. Mr. Segars has had primary responsibility for conducting pleading, discovery, and pre-trial motion practice in more than one hundred federal and state court matters. He has several weeks of arbitration, jury trial, and bench trial experience. Mr. Segars has also handled appeals in state and federal courts – both in cases in which he was involved at the trial court level and in initial engagements on appeal.
Mr. Segars graduated from Wake Forest University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1997) and the University of North Carolina School of Law (J.D., with High Honors, Order of the Coif, 2000). During 2001 and 2002, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jane R. Roth of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Awards and Honors
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Litigation (2010-2015)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2013-present)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Litigation (2013)
- Peer review rating of AV® in Martindale-Hubbell
Prior Legal Experience
- Associate, Moore & Van Allen, PLLC, 2000-2001 & 2002-2003
- Research Assistant to Professors Marion G. Crain and Thomas L. Hazen, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1998-2000
- Clerkship, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Hon. Jane R. Roth, 2001-2002
- North Carolina, 2000
- United States District Courts
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 2003
- Middle District of North Carolina, 2003
- Western District of North Carolina, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2006
- United States Supreme Court, 2012