Tom Rogers has been representing parties to commercial real estate transactions and financings since 1982. He has represented sellers, purchasers, and lenders within the Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey region, as well as nationally. His extensive experience enables Tom to solve complex transactional problems practically and efficiently.
Tom’s practice is generally comprised of two aspects. The first is representing clients in the purchase and sale of all types of commercial real estate. This includes the purchase and sale of office buildings, warehouse/industrial properties, retail properties, vacant land for future development and other commercial real estate. He handles all aspects including the transaction documentation, title and survey issues, and environmental issues, including brownfields, reciprocals or other easements.
Another significant portion of Tom’s practice is representing lenders in commercial real estate loans. Tom’s clients range from national insurance companies and other similar financial institutions to smaller, local banks. He represents clients in the full range of commercial real estate lending, including acquisition loans, construction loans and permanent loans, including non-recourse and partial-recourse loans.
Tom is often asked by clients to handle their most sophisticated transactions including complex construction loans and multi-state/multi-property portfolio loans and transactions. He is also relied on by clients for loan restructurings, workouts and, when needed, exercising remedies including confessions of judgment, sheriff’s sales and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure.
Tom lends his extensive experience to both clients and others by frequently speaking on a number of real estate topics, including developments in real estate law, title insurance, mechanics' liens, foreclosures and other real estate remedies. He has also coordinated client in-house programs for their underwriters, lenders and loan administrators to keep them abreast of the important real estate law issues confronting them and to help train newer loan officers.
- Represented, as lead counsel, a national lender in the sale of a portfolio of 29 office buildings
- Represented a national lender in the sale of 5 commercial office condominiums
- Represented a national life insurance company in the sale of several of their regional office buildings in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area, including a large office building in Philadelphia
- Part of a team of White and Williams attorneys handling the transfer of title to numerous large industrial sites for an international company as part of a spin-off
- Lead counsel for a bank syndication group for a $76,400,000 construction loan and line of credit facility for the development of a Costco and Target anchored regional shopping center that included various governmental related financing aspects including Tax Increment Financing (TIF), a Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grant, an Industrial Site Reuse Program (ISRP) grant, a Business In Our Sites (BiOS) loan and a Transportation Infrastructure Investment Fund (TIIF) grant
- Lead counsel for a bank syndication group for a $72,500,000 construction loan for a 14 story privately owned student housing building that included a RACP grant
- Represented a regional lender in a complex $55,000,000 university student housing land acquisition and construction project as part of the development of the core area of the adjacent town, including long-term leases to the university
- Represented a national lender in a series of multi-property mortgage loans for a large car dealership organization in Pennsylvania
- Represented a national lender in a $30,500,000 refinance of a regional mall
- Represented a national lender in a series of mortgage loans secured by a portfolio of parking facilities
- Represented a regional lender in a series of mortgage loans to acquire several multi-building apartment complexes
- Represented a regional lender in a complex construction loan and letter of credit facility for the reconstruction of an existing office building to be the US headquarters of a multi-national construction materials company
- Represented a regional lender in a series of mortgage loans for the acquisition, pre-development and construction of a new multi-faceted residential community, including age restricted housing
- Represented a regional lender in a complicated sale of a defaulted commercial mortgage loan with a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transfer of title and subsequent new loan to the purchaser
RECOGNITION & INVOLVEMENT
Tom’s experience has been recognized by his peers as he is a Fellow in the American College of Mortgage Attorneys, a national invitation-only organization formed to establish an integrated group of lawyers in each state who are highly skilled and experienced in real estate lending and related practices.
In 2015, Tom was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Real Estate. He is AV® rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system and was also named by his peers as a Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine from 2004 through 2013.