Partner in Osler’s Montréal office. Practice focuses on commercial, administrative and constitutional litigation, including aspects pertaining to Aboriginal rights. Involved in a number of class actions, including liability, pension and competition cases, and in many shareholder disputes. Counsel to Commissions of Inquiries. Appears before all levels of federal and provincial courts, commissions and governmental boards. Taught administrative law at the University of Ottawa, the University of Montréal and for the Québec Bar. Has given several conferences and written numerous articles in his fields. Fellow of the ACTL. Chair of the ACTL Provincial Committee. Past Chair of the Montréal Bar Committee on Civil Justice and past Chair of the CBA’s Constitutional Law and Civil Liberties Section.
- Represented École polytechnique de Montréal in Superior Court and in appeal, defeating a motion to authorize a class action of behalf of the School's retirees.
- Argued before the SCC an appeal involving the authorization of a class action forVivendi's (Seagram) retirees.
- Represents IBM in an action involving its employees and retirees concerning pension and post retirement benefits.
- Represented GM in the settlement of the post retirement health benefits class action against its Québec retirees.
- Represents Irving Oil in two class actions concerning an alleged cartel to increase the price of retail gasoline in 4 municipalities (Jacques) and 13 other districts (Thouin).
- Acts for Valle Foam in the settlement of a class action.
- Acted for Elpida in the contestation (in Superior Court and in appeal) and in the settlement of a class action.
- Acted for Cadbury in the settlement of a class action.
- Obtained a stay of proceedings for an important publisherin the context of parallel class actions.
- Represents NEC Electronics and Danfoss compressors in the contestation of class actions.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in relation to a class action regarding the side effects of a drug.
- Represents Irving Oil in the proposed class action following the tragedy at Lac Megantic. Acted for Gaz Metro in major disaster files.
- Represents the Royal Bank of Canada in the contestation of a motion to authorize a class action.
- Represented the chief justice of the Court of Québec pursuant to a legal recourse against her before the Superior Court regarding the Court of Québec’s judge appointment process.
- Government of Canada’s attorney before the Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsoring Program and Advertising Activities (Gomery Commission). He acts for the government of Canada in the actions related to the recovery of overpayments in relation to the Sponsorship Program.
- Regularly represents the Fonds d’assurance responsabilité professionnelle of the Barreau du Québec.