With more than 15 years of experience as a litigator, Steve focuses his practice on bankruptcy, creditors' rights, consumer financial services and commercial litigation.
Steve represents various financial institutions and individuals, including secured and unsecured creditors and indenture trustees throughout the bankruptcy process. He places particular emphasis on helping corporate creditors navigate a broad range of issues related to the prosecution and defense of claims and preservation of collateral in bankruptcy. Steve has served as lead counsel in bankruptcy proceedings, adversary proceedings and out-of-court sales and workouts.
Steve also has significant experience as lead counsel in commercial and general civil litigation matters in both federal and state courts. He has successfully handled matters including complex commercial and contractual disputes, lender liability, landlord-tenant disputes, creditors' rights, collections, construction disputes and compliance with various consumer protection laws, including the FDCPA, FCRA and related state statutes. Steve has also defended products liability and personal injury matters.
- Served as lead counsel for regional utility service providers in numerous contested bankruptcy proceedings and related litigation matters, including avoidance litigation, claims management, relief from the automatic stay, adequate assurance and plan confirmation issues.
- Served as lead counsel for debtor-in-possession home health care providers, including negotiation of DIP financing and plan terms, in addition to litigation over corporate governance, Medicare recoupment, employee retention, contract rejection and plan issues, ultimately resulting in confirmation and consummation of a plan of reorganization.
- Represented indenture trustee in national restaurant reorganization, resulting in full payment of bondholder claims pursuant to a consensual Chapter 11 plan
- Represented senior secured lender in vigorously contested restaurant franchisee bankruptcy and related litigation, ultimately resulting in confirmation of a heavily negotiated plan of reorganization
- Obtained payment in full of secured lenders' claims in several contested Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings across a number of industries including real estate, oil and gas, utility providers and convenience stores.