For more than 37 years, Canadian trade unions have relied on Stephen (Steve) Wahl to advocate in the best interest of their workers.
In 2015, Steve shifted the focus of his practice from litigation to lead the labour relations group’s strategy, collective bargaining, and training and education services. He advises and educates trade union clients on a variety of topics such as mediation techniques, strike readiness, and collective bargaining. An experienced educator, Steve has lectured on industrial conflict in the Masters of Law Programme at Osgoode Hall Law School and spoken to numerous professional and union audiences.
Steve has an outstanding reputation as a labour relations lawyer with his union clients as well as his peers in the legal community. He has worked with trade unions and employees in various sectors from construction to manufacturing and from public service to the airline industries and enjoys a superlative reputation for his expertise in labour relations and collective bargaining, employment standards, occupational health and safety, employment insurance, and workers’ compensation. Also, Steve is widely recognized as a leader in bankruptcy and insolvency issues affecting employees and collective bargaining.
Construction Industry Collective Bargaining
- ICI collective bargaining for various trades since the advent of province-wide bargaining
- Electrical power systems sector collective bargaining
- Residential sector sub-trade specialty collective bargaining
- Civil sectors (e.g. roads, heavy engineering, sewers and watermains) collective bargaining
Non-construction Industry Collective Bargaining
- Air Canada insolvency collective bargaining
- Innovative technologies (i.e. wind and solar power) service and maintenance collective bargaining
Strike Readiness and Credibility
- Preparing and managing expectations
- Communicating the union message effectively and successfully
- Strike logistics
- Strike resolution – planning the “end game”
Mediation Techniques and Strategies
- Internal union affairs
- Improving the union/employer relationship
- Establishment and protection of trade jurisdiction
- Record keeping and evidentiary issues
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Air Canada Insolvency and Restructuring
- GMAC Commercial Credit Corporation – Canada v. T.C.T. Logistics Inc.