Steve Cohen is co-chair of the firm’s Private Equity Group.
Mr. Cohen has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, The Legal 500, PLC – Which Lawyer and Massachusetts Super Lawyers.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds, including mergers and acquisitions, equity investments, fund formation and ongoing representation of portfolio companies.
· Represented private equity seller in $640 million sale of healthcare business (awarded 2005 Buyouts Magazine Deal of the Year).
· Represented private equity sponsor in series of acquisitions and mergers to form renewable energy integrator (awarded 2009 "Green/Environmental Deal of the Year" by M&A Advisor).
· Represented private equity buyer in acquisition of Billboard Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter, Backstage, Adweek and other media properties (price not disclosed).
· Represented Riverside Partners in the formation of its $406 million Riverside Fund IV, LP.
· Represented private equity seller in $255 million sale of apparel business.
· Represented private equity buyer $360 million sale of information business.
· Represented private equity buyer in purchase of US and European based manufacturing business (price not disclosed).
· Represented private equity buyer in purchase of investment newsletter business (price not disclosed).
Publications and Presentations
· “Pre and Post Sale Planning for You, Your Company and Your Family,” panelist, Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s Conference for Business Owners: M&A Solutions for Privately Held Companies, Boston, October 2012.
· “The SEC Changeup on Private Equity Fund Registration,” co-author, Corporate Finance Law360, August 2011.
· “Q&A with Choate Hall’s Stephen Cohen,” featured, Law360, December 2009.
· “Three Indemnification Traps for Buyers to Avoid,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, April 2009.
· "As Private Equity Slows, Big Strategic Buyers Enter Fray," quoted, Boston Business Journal, May 2008.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Cohen is a member of the firm’s Hiring Committee and has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Mr. Cohen took a leave of absence during 1991 and 1992 to serve as Issues Director for former Senator Paul Tsongas' presidential campaign, and continues to be active in political affairs. He currently serves as a Trustee of Gann Academy.