Since joining Foster Swift in 1976, Steve has spent many years helping clients navigate the complex web of regulations relating to employee benefits for public and private employers. He works with clients to design benefit plans that comply with applicable rules, and, when questions are raised, helps them to resolve disputes arising from IRS and U.S. Department of Labor audits and administrative proceedings. He also advises clients regarding applicable fiduciary standards and related corporate governance considerations. In recognition of his work in this field, his peers have selected him for inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
Steve is admitted to practice in Michigan. In addition to his practice, he has served as the Chair of a section subcommittee of the American Bar Association and the Chair of the State Bar of Michigan Taxation Section. He is also a member of the American Bar Association and the Federalist Society.
— Representative Matters
- Employee Benefits Law:
- Advising clients regarding tax, labor law, and litigation matters relating to employee benefit plans
- Advising clients that are subject to ERISA, as well as clients such as state and local governments and qualifying church organizations that are exempt from ERISA
- Assisting with the design of benefit plans and drafting documents that implement each design, including employee disclosure materials
- Helping employers to ensure that their programs comply with changes in relevant tax and labor law, including ERISA and other laws
- Assisting employers with IRS and U.S. Department of Labor audits
- Negotiating closing agreements and private letter rulings with the Internal Revenue Service
- Advising clients in prohibited transaction and other special legal problems
- Advising employers regarding the corporate governance and fiduciary duty aspects of implementing and administering an employee benefit plan
- Counseling clients in the growing area of international employee benefit planning, including the taxation of employee benefits pursuant to tax treaties
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan