Sonia defends complex litigation with a focus on class actions and commercial arbitration, and extensive experience in trial advocacy and cross-border issues. Sonia defends complex product liability cases across many industry sectors and litigates business-critical issues related to director liability, shareholder remedies, corporate/commercial agreements and banking.
Sonia is listed in Chambers Global, rated as AV Preeminent in Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings, and named in Lexpert as a leading practitioner for class actions, commercial litigation and international commercial arbitration. Sonia is named in the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada and The Best Lawyers in Canada for Product Liability Law. Sonia is an elected member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC) and an active member of the The Advocates’ Society Board of Directors.
- A leading pharmaceutical company in class actions and individual actions in several jurisdictions defending allegations of failure to warn.
- A leading medical device company in class actions and individual actions in several jurisdictions defending product liability claims.
- A major manufacturer of automotive parts in a long private arbitration involving a long-term supply agreement.
- A leading international manufacturer of waste treatment equipment in defending complex product liability allegations.
- A refinery in a long Ontario trial defending claims of alleged environmental contamination.
- The Receivers of Stanford International Bank in proceedings regarding the forfeiture of funds related to an international fraud and ponzi scheme.
- A major chartered bank in defending allegations of negligence and misrepresentation in individual and proposed class proceedings in three jurisdictions.
- The directors and officers of a bankrupt company in a New Brunswick class action involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duty in respect of the administration of company pension plans.
- A manufacturer of power transmission and distribution equipment in a long New Brunswick trial involving complex claims of breach of contract, negligence and failure to warn, including successfully defending an appeal taken to the Court of Appeal.
- A technology company in a long Ontario trial involving claims by a former senior executive for lost stock options.
- A leading financial processing services company in defence of claims by a former chief executive officer.
- A private investment company in a long Ontario trial arising from a breached share purchase transaction, as well as successfully defending appeals taken to the Ontario Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada.
- Public sector organizations as respondents and affected third parties in Privacy Commission hearings.