Shuli is a partner in Osler’s highly regarded Competition Law and Foreign Investment Group. She has extensive experience in all aspects of competition law and foreign investment review, including mergers & acquisitions, strategic alliances, price fixing & bid-rigging investigations, and pricing and distribution matters. She represents clients across a broad range of industry sectors, including financial services, entertainment, new media, manufacturing, steel, automotive, chemicals, energy & mining, real estate, food & consumer packaged goods, and transportation.
Shuli has successfully obtained clearances under the Competition Act for numerous complex domestic, cross-border and international transactions. She also has extensive experience in providing counselling to companies on compliance under the Competition Act and in conducting internal antitrust investigations and audits.
Shuli has extensive experience advising non-Canadian clients on strategic issues and obtaining clearances under the Investment Canada Act, including in relation to the enforcement of undertakings and the unique issues arising in the entertainment and cultural areas. She has successfully obtained clearances under the Investment Canada Act for numerous complex transactions.
She is active in the National Competition Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, and is Vice-Chair of the Reviewable Practices Committee and immediate past Chair of the Legislation and Policy Committee. She has published many articles and spoken widely on various competition law and foreign investment topics. She has appeared before the Canadian Parliamentary Committees responsible for Industry, Science and Technology and Canadian Heritage. Shuli is the Chair of the firm’s Students Committee.
- Shoppers Drug Mart in connection with its proposed $12.4 billion acquisition by Loblaw Companies Limited.
- Avis Budget Group on its proposed acquisition of Dollar Thrifty.
- Carl C. Icahn in his takeover bid for Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.
- Chemtrade Logistics Income Fund in connection with its acquisition of Marsulex Inc.
- Dundee REIT in connection with its $1.4 billion acquisition of Whiterock REIT and the acquisition of Scotia Plaza, and various other transactions and arrangements.
- Entertainment One in its acquisition of Alliance Films.
- General Motors in connection with various transactions and arrangements
- Georgia Gulf Corporation in its merger with the commodity chemicals division of PPG Industries, Inc. for $2.1 billion.
- James Richardson International in its “white knight” bid for Agricore United, and subsequent negotiated transaction with Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.
- Kinross Gold in its $7 billion acquisition of Red Back Mining.
- Maple Leaf in connection with the acquisition of the Puratone Corporation.
- Maple Leaf in connection with the sale of its 90% interest in Canada Bread to Grupo Bimbo.
- Miranda Technologies Inc. in connection with its publicly announced strategic review process, culminating in Belden Inc.’s proposed $375 million acquisition of Miranda by way of a take-over bid.
- Nutreco International B.V in the purchase of the animal nutrition business of Maple Leaf Foods.
- Olivieri Foods Limited in the sale of all of its assets to Catelli Foods Corporation.
- Placer Dome Inc. in its response to the unsolicited bid from Barrick Gold Corporation and subsequent negotiated $10.4 billion acquisition.
- Quad/Graphics on the sale of its Canadian printing business to Transcontinental.
- SANYO Electric Co. Ltd. in its US$9 billion acquisition by Panasonic Corp.
- U.S. Steel Corporation in its acquisition of Stelco and in connection with its litigation with Industry Canada regarding the performance of its undertakings.
- Shoppers Drug Mart Corporation in its acquisition of the HealthAccess division of Calea
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with its acquisition of the Canadian automobile finance and deposit business of Ally Financial Inc.
- Torstar in connection with its 20% investment in Bell Globemedia.
- Competition advice on various transactions and arrangements in the health care and pharmaceutical sectors.