He has an active civil trial and client counseling practice in labor and employment law and is Certified as a Circuit Court Mediator in all judicial circuits in the State of Florida. Throughout his career of more than 25 years practicing law, Shane has successfully represented business organizations in a wide range of labor and employment matters, including wage and hour, employment discrimination, whistleblower, harassment, restrictive covenants, wage and hour, and other complex litigation including FLSA and ADEA collective actions. In addition, he is frequently retained to represent clients in federal, state and local investigations. Shane also has wide-ranging experience in representing clients in internal investigations involving alleged harassment, disparate treatment and other employee misconduct. He has substantial experience in helping clients develop and implement employment policies and procedures designed to foster positive employee relations and to minimize legal risks.
Shane lectures and writes on a regular basis on whistleblower and retaliation claims, wage and hour law, the Americans with Disabilities Act, family and medical leave, discrimination, harassment and other issues. He also presents on labor and employment topics for clients, The Florida Bar, the National Business Institute, the Council on Education in Management and Lorman Educational Services.
- Successfully argued appeal to United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in consolidated cases where plaintiffs argued that State of Florida and Florida employers violated Americans with Disabilities Act in connection with application of Florida's Workers' Compensation Law
- Successfully defended client against Sarbanes-Oxley complaint alleging employee was discharged for complaining about financial improprieties involving multimillion dollar investment trust
- Successfully tried federal lawsuit alleging gender discrimination in failure to promote to Police Chief
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of national retailer in breach of contract case
- Defeated Department of Labor motion for injunction to prevent use of employee declarations and releases
- Defeated class certification in sexual harassment case alleging putative class of 5,000 current and former employees
Court Admissions — U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut