Sanford Brown, a partner in the Financial Services & Products Group, counsels and represents financial institutions and specialty finance companies, as well as their shareholders and holding companies, in matters involving state and federal banking laws, regulations and enforcement actions; in corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, securities offerings, holding company formations and Subchapter S corporation elections; and in matters involving privacy and identity theft.
Mr. Brown served in the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency from 1987 to 1989. His responsibilities included a wide range of matters relating to the regulation of national banks, including the development of banking policy in the areas of risk-based capital and dividends. He is a faculty member of the Southwestern Graduate School of Banking, and is a frequent speaker at regional and national banking seminars and educational programs.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Banking and Finance and Financial Services Regulation, including as a 2015 “Lawyer of the Year” in the latter category. Mr. Brown is also listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Counsel to over 100 buyers and sellers of community banks nationwide.
- Counsel to hundreds of community banks in issuing equity and debt securities.
- Counsel to a regional bank on numerous regulatory issues.
- Counsel to two bank holding companies on Section 363 transactions.
- Regulatory counsel to several specialty finance companies.