Roger is the immediate Past-Chair of the Ontario Bar Association Construction Law Section Executive. He has authored more than sixty papers in Construction Law journals and trade publications, and is frequently invited to chair and speak at conferences in the area, including Chairing the annual Construction Lien Essentials conference sponsored by the Law Society of Upper Canada. Roger has served as a Guest Lecturer in Construction Law at the University of Toronto Law School and George Brown College. Roger has significant expertise in construction litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution proceedings and extensive advocacy experience in trial, appellate and arbitration proceedings. He advises on the avoidance and management of risk in the context of construction contracts and has developed particular expertise in the area of tendering and procurement in both the public and private sectors. Roger has represented clients in a wide variety of disputes involving construction liens and trusts, mortgage priorities, contract interpretation, bidding and tendering disputes, delay and extras claims, professional negligence and claims under performance and payment bonds. He has also dealt with the interpretation of specifications, ownership of design drawings and environmental claims and prosecutions.
- City of Toronto - advising on Construction Lien and Procurement matters relating to the $500 million Union Station Revitalization Project.
- Atomic Energy of Canada Limited – advising and representing AECL in a number of matters, including advising on the Ontario nuclear reactor Newbuild procurement, and representing AECL in a number of disputes including an arbitration and a tendering dispute relating to the refurbishment of a number of nuclear reactors.
- Toronto Transit Commission in successfully prosecuting a claim in a tendering dispute relating to the public bidding process for TTC contracts, which included an appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal and a leave application to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- PCL Constructors Canada Inc. – representing and advising PCL, Canada’s largest general contractor, regarding a number of Construction Lien and other construction matters.
- An Ontario Healthcare Centre – representing the Hospital in prosecuting a claim relating to deficiencies in the construction of a new wing.
- An Ontario Healthcare Centre - representing the Hospital in a number of disputes relating to construction at the Hospital, including risk management relating to the timely completion of new Hospital facilities.
- City of Kingston/Utilities Kingston – representing and advising the City regarding a number of construction matters, including the construction of a new City arena, a wastewater treatment plant, a pumping station and a water tower.
- Bank of America – representing the Bank in a dispute relating to priorities between construction lien claimants and mortgagees.
- Zurich Indemnity Company of Canada - in successfully defending, at trial and before the Ontario Court of Appeal, a precedent-setting claim under a Performance Bond relating to the construction of a high-rise condominium development in Whitby, Ontario.
- Philip Services/PSC Industrial Services Canada Inc. - in successfully defending, at trial and before the Ontario Court of Appeal, against ten lien and trust claims, which were struck out on the issue of lienability.