Bob Waterman joined Lane & Waterman in 1981 and for 35 years has focused his civil litigation practice for the defense primarily in the areas of professional malpractice, product liability, and insurance coverage litigation.
Bob is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America, for the areas of Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice Law, Medical Malpractice Law, and Bet-the-Company Litigation, in Martindale-Hubbell with an AV rating, in Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers with a “Band 1” rating for Litigation: General Commercial, and in the Iowa Super Lawyers Top 10 List for the years 2007 and 2009 - 2015. In 2014, Bob was awarded The 2014 Client Choice Award for Litigation in Iowa.
Bob is a past President of the Iowa State Bar Association (2011-12), and remains active in numerous law related organizations, including:
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (State Chair, 2008-2010)
- Fellow and Director, Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Director, Iowa State Bar Foundation
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Member, Iowa Defense Counsel Association (Director, 2005-2008)
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Illinois Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, American, Iowa, and Illinois Bar Associations
- Member, Scott County Bar Association (President, 2000-2001) and Rock Island County Bar Association
Bob is active in the Quad Cities community, currently serving as a Trustee of the Hubbell-Waterman Foundation, Director of the Friendly House (past President 1990-92), and member of the Investment Committee of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (Senior Warden, Vestry, 1996). He received his B.A. from Northwestern University and his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law, where he served as Managing Editor of The Iowa Law Review. He resides in Bettendorf with his wife Kim, and they have two adult sons.
Examples of recent accomplishments include:
- In February 2015, Bob successfully defended a Davenport, Iowa, obstetrician in a medical malpractice lawsuit brought by a patient who sought in excess of $4.2 million for birth injuries resulting from a delivery complicated by a Shoulder Dystocia presentation. The Scott County jury returned a unanimous defense verdict on February 13, 2015.
- In May 2014, Bob successfully defended a Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, chiropractor in a malpractice lawsuit brought by a 30-year old patient and her husband who sought in excess of $350,000 for injuries following chiropractic manipulative therapy, which allegedly caused bilateral vertebral artery dissections and a resulting stroke. The Lee County jury in Ft. Madison returned a unanimous defense verdict on May 23, 2014.
- In May 2014, Bob successfully defended a local general surgeon in a medical malpractice lawsuit brought by a patient who sought $1.25 million for injuries from a bowel perforation following liposuction surgery. The Rock Island County jury returned a unanimous defense verdict on May 9, 2014.
- In February 2014, Bob successfully defended a local family practice physician and hospital in a medical malpractice lawsuit brought by the estate and family of a deceased patient who suffered a deadly heart attack 3-weeks following a normal cardiac stress test. The Scott County jury returned a unanimous defense verdict on February 17, 2014.
- In October 2013, Bob successfully defended an Iowa law firm in a legal malpractice lawsuit brought by an Iowa municipality which sued to recover $4.5 million it had agreed to pay to settle an underlying whistle-blower case. After 3 weeks of trial, the Scott County jury returned a unanimous defense verdict in favor of the law firm.