Bob is widely acknowledged as one of the foremost insolvency practitioners in Canada and is a founding partner of Thornton Grout Finnigan (TGF). Bob is recognised as a Band 1 "leading individual" in restructuring/insolvency by Chambers Global 2015, and has been lauded as "a leading light" and "pound for pound one of the top lawyers in town". Euromoney's The Best of the Best 2012 listed Bob as one of the top three insolvency and restructuring lawyers in Canada, and has described him as "exceptional" and "the most innovative in the field". Bob is also listed as "Most Frequently Recommended" in insolvency and financial restructuring in the 2015 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada and the 2015 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- Currently leading the restructuring of Coopers & Lybrand, whereby the "longest running legal saga in Canadian history" has been resolved through a powerful and creative use of the CCAA.
- Lead restructuring counsel for the largest creditor and DIP lender to U. S. Steel Canada Inc.
- Acting for the Monitor in the restructuring of the Mobilicity Group.
- Counsel to Ernst & Young, court-appointed monitor in the
restructuring of the Canadian AbitibiBowater entities, one of the
world's largest publicly traded pulp and paper manufacturers.
- Acting as lead restructuring counsel to Hollinger Inc. in the
wind-up and resolution of Hollinger and its subsidiaries, with extensive
involvement in the company's pursuit of litigation claims.
- Representing specialty paper company Fraser Papers Inc. and its subsidiaries in CCAA restructuring proceedings.
- Acting on behalf of a committee of contesting bondholders in the
BCE reorganization, which involved the world's largest leveraged
buy-out with an enterprise value of $52 billion.
- Counsel to the monitor of tobacco company JTI Macdonald until its successful emergence from the CCAA.
- Acting on behalf of GE Capital Aviation Services, Inc., a principal stakeholder in the Air Canada CCAA proceedings.
- Counsel to a major bondholder in the CCAA restructuring of Calpine and its subsidiaries, a global integrated power company.
- Represented the court-appointed monitor Ernst & Young in the
restructuring of Stelco, one of the most significant CCAA
restructurings in Canadian history.
Bob is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, INSOL
International, The Advocates' Society, the Toronto Lawyers' Association,
the Canadian Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the
Turnaround Management Association, the Canadian Insolvency Foundation
and the Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section.