Rita advises public, public sector (Crown) and private corporations, large and small. Her varied practice requires her to keep current on many areas of law and various industries and focuses on:
- Advising on corporate governance/risk management,
- Director/officer/trustee orientations, codes of conduct,
- Negotiating and structuring private equity (Fund and Direct) Investments (Domestic/International),
- Advising tax-exempt entities,
- Pension plan investment,
- Debt/equity financings,
- Mergers and acquisitions,
- Hospitality/hotel management franchise and lease arrangements,
- Significant real estate asset management and property management arrangements,
- Government relations, and
- Natural resources (options, joint ventures, and project development).
Rita has substantial experience as both a director and corporate secretary of corporations and societies. She co-authored a chapter on corporate governance in Canada in The International Comparative Legal Guide to Corporate Governance annually from 2013 to 2015. Rita has obtained her ICD.D designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors/Rotman School of Management.
Rita is a founding member of Lawson Lundell’s Northwest Territories office. She is also the Chair of Lawson Lundell’s Executive Committee.