Phil Gordon focuses his practice in the areas of private equity, hotel transactions and management agreements, corporate mergers and acquisitions, and representation of boards of directors of public companies. Over the years, he has supervised the acquisitions, financing and management agreement negotiations of more than 75 hotels in North America and Europe. He has also advised sponsors on establishing private equity funds and has represented portfolio companies of the private equity funds. Phil has handled numerous public and private corporate acquisitions and dispositions and has advised boards of directors and committees of boards of public companies on a range of topics.
- Hotel del Coronado, San Diego, CA — Represented client Strategic Hotels & Resorts Inc. in acquiring a joint venture ownership interest in the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, CA. The property includes the 679-room luxury property, a spa and beach club, a 78-room beachfront, luxury condominium-hotel development and a zoned parcel for additional 144-room development. The Hotel del Coronado, a National Historic Landmark located on 28 acres of prime beachfront, is considered to be one of the top ten resorts in the world. Represented Strategic Hotels & Resorts in the 2011 recapitalization and refinancing of this hotel.
- Essex House Hotel, New York, NY — Represented Strategic Hotels & Resorts in connection with (i) the $362.3 million acquisition of the iconic Essex House hotel, 9 residential units at the property; (ii) the negotiation of a 50 year management agreement with Marriott International, Inc., to convert the property to the first JW Marriott-branded property in New York City; (iii) the formation of an ownership joint venture; and (iv) a $190 million acquisition loan from Bank of America, N.A.. This transaction received the "Single Asset Transaction of the Year 2012" award at the 2013 ALIS Conference.
- Rosewood Hotels & Resorts LLC (2011) — Represented the owners in the sale of Dallas-based Rosewood Hotels & Resorts LLC hotel management company and five North American properties under Rosewood management for $800 million to China-based New World Hospitality and individual investors. Properties sold in the transaction included the Carlyle Hotel in New York, NY, the Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi in Santa Fe, NM, Rosewood Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Islands, the Rosewood Crescent Hotel and the Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, both in Dallas, TX. The transaction received the "M&A Deal of the Year Award" at the 2012 ALIS Conference.
- Listed in Illinois Law & Politics, "Super Lawyers"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law (2007-2012)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell (AV, BV, and CV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., uses in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.)
- Ranked nationally in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in Leisure & Hospitality (2009-2012)
Write a client comment