Peter is a leading advisor with over 30 years of experience in competition/antitrust matters including complex domestic and multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, strategic alliances, cartels, government investigations and related class actions, pricing and distribution and counselling matters. He represents clients across a wide range of industries including entertainment, financial services, media, technology, manufacturing, publishing, retailing, transportation, natural resources and the energy sectors. These include General Motors, London Stock Exchange Group, Viacom, Sony, Simon & Schuster, Microsoft, DuPont, Honeywell, Philips Electronics and several of Canada’s leading financial institutions and pension funds. Peter also has extensive experience advising clients on developing innovative solutions to complex regulatory issues arising under the Investment Canada Act and related government policies.
- Simon & Schuster in connection with Competition Bureau’s investigation of the ebooks matter under Section 90.1 and related proceedings before the Competition Tribunal, and related class action proceedings.
- MEGA Brands in connection with its US$460 million acquisition by Mattel.
- Kingsett Capital and others in their acquisition of Primaris REIT.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, Providence Equity Partners, andMadison Dearborn Partners LLC in connection with their purchase (with Bell) of Q9 Networks for $1.1 billion.
- Goodman Global Inc in connection with its acquisition by Daikin Industries for $3.7 billion.
- Various defendants in the DRAM, LCD, CRT, SRAM, optical disk drive, smart cards class action proceedings and related government investigations.
- London Stock Exchange Group PLC on its proposed merger of equals with TSX Group Inc.
- Avis Budget Group on its proposed acquisition of Dollar Thrifty.
- Honeywell in its acquisition of EMS Technologies and the sale of its filters business to Rank.
- Quad/Graphics on the sale of its Canadian printing business to Transcontinental.
- Shareholders of Acxsys Corporation (Canadian financial institutions) in the proposed restructuring of Interac Association.
- Walter Energy on its acquisition of Western Coal.
- Sony Music in its acquisition of the Sony BMG music and EMI music publishing business.
- Royal Bank of Canada in the restructuring of Visa credit card association.
- Torstar in connection with its 20% investment in Bell Globemedia.
- Inco Limited in its proposed acquisition of Falconbridge Limited and eventual acquisition by CVRD.
- Procter & Gamble in its acquisition of Gillette.
- General Motors of Canada in its successful defence of a refusal to deal action and numerous transactional and other matters.
- Viacom in its sale of Famous Players theatre chain to Cineplex.