Paul Cushing focuses on representing both financial institutions and companies in a wide variety of financing transactions, including syndicated financings, secured financings, acquisition financings, bridge loans, public and private debt issuances, securitizations and structured financings. Paul also handles debt restructurings and workouts. Much of his practice centers on the representation of financial institutions and their capital markets groups in the financing of REITs and other real estate companies. Since 2000, Paul has closed over 250 financings involving REITs and other real estate companies totaling over $88 billion.
Paul is a long-time member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and has served as the chair of the Business Law Section of the Georgia State Bar and its UCC Subcommittee. In addition to his bar affiliations, he is a member of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT) and is featured as one of the leading Georgia lawyers for banking and finance in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. Paul is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the banking, corporate, equipment finance and structured finance areas. Most recently, he was named a 2015 “Client Service All-Star” in corporate & finance in BTI Consulting Group’s (BTI) annual survey of the nation’s top lawyers.
- Counsel to a public health care company on a $640 million senior secured credit facility put in place when that company was spun off from a large health care products company.
- Represented one of the world’s largest manufacturers of floor coverings in a $1.8 billion multi-currency senior credit facility and a $500 receivables securitization.
- Counsel to a payments processor on a $385 million senior secured revolving credit and term loan facility.
- Counsel to the Administrative Agent for a $483.5 million revolving credit and term loan facility to Rouse Properties, Inc. secured by numerous retail shopping malls and put in place when Rouse was spun off from General Growth Properties, Inc.
- Company counsel in three shelf takedowns of senior unsecured notes aggregating $800 million for one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers.