Pat Schmidt is the chair of Quarles & Brady’s Product Liability, Toxic Tort and Personal Injury Litigation Practice Group and has focused his practice in this area of the law for over 25 years. Mr. Schmidt also represents clients in commercial and intellectual property litigation matters. Mr. Schmidt’s litigation and counseling experiences have provided him with a practical and working knowledge of mechanical engineering, machine design, warnings, kinematics, ergonomics, biomechanics, metallurgical, accident reconstruction and related principles, as well as damages concepts across a broad range of commercial, intellectual property, product liability and personal injury matters.
- Tried cases in 18 states.
- Defended cases in over an additional 19 states and the District of Columbia.
- National counsel for crane, forklift, tool, trailer, motorcycle and dockleveler manufacturers.
- Wisconsin counsel for manufacturers of automotive, industrial, construction, truck, agricultural, consumer, and other products.
- Defense of consumer class action litigation.
- Plaintiff and defense work in high-stakes commercial and IP litigation.
- Counseling of manufacturers on product design, intellectual property, warnings, safety, record retention and related issues.
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- Wisconsin Supreme Court, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1975