Pat has advised and represented Canadian and U.S. companies on regulatory matters involving federal and provincial governments in Canada. Pat has extensive litigation and advisory experience in the privacy and access to information/freedom of information area, and has advised corporations and government institutions in many matters and proceedings under the federal and provincial private sector, public sector and health sector privacy laws, as well as the anti-spam legislation enacted by the federal government. Pat also has extensive experience advising companies in many industries and services fields on compliance with Canadian privacy laws. In addition to her privacy and FOI work, Pat represents and advises companies in the areas of air, marine and rail transportation regulation, agricultural regulation and programs, Canadian lobbyist registration requirements and other areas of regulation affecting businesses operating in Canada. Pat is a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee.
- Advises a broad range of businesses in the financial services, investment, transportation, retail and IT sectors on privacy law requirements under Canadian privacy legislation.
- Advises health care, pharmaceutical and medical device companies on requirements of provincial health information protection legislation across Canada.
- Advises companies on mitigation and notification requirements arising from personal and health information data breaches. Has represented numerous companies in notifications required under Alberta privacy laws.
- Has advised companies on privacy impact assessments and the privacy compliance of data analytics , patient monitoring, electricity use, automobile use monitoring and retail, financial sector fraud.S
- Advises on privacy law requirements applicable to merger, share and asset transactions and securizations involving personal information databases, assets and portfolios.
- Provides Canadian privacy law advice in connection with numerous international transfers or outsourcings of financial services, bill payment, employee information and customer database information.
- Advises airlines, railways and shipping companies on Canadian Air and rail transportation regulation and offshore marine regulation.
- Advises defence contractors regarding export and import controls, cross-border security and export requirements.
- Advises companies doing business with government and Crown corporations on lobbyist registration, conflict of interest, whistleblower, business courtesies and election financing regulation in Canada.
- Advises employers on Canadian employment and human rights laws with emphasis on the federal jurisdiction.
- Represents numerous companies in Access to Information/Freedom of Information proceedings on responses to third party regarding potential disclosure of commercial, proprietary information.