Nancy Peterson has managed all environmental matters across the country for several corporate clients, including environmental compliance, risk evaluation and crisis management. She has negotiated environmental terms in corporate transactions throughout the United States and in Europe, and has consulted with the Institute for European Environmental Policy in London. Ms. Peterson also has extensive experience in resolving complex, multi-party pollution claims under environmental and insurance laws through negotiation, mediation and litigation. Ms. Peterson’s experience includes:
- Lead attorney on a nationally known environmental cleanup and related litigation involving the Fox River Valley in Wisconsin. Claims include governmental cleanup claims; natural resource damages claims by federal, state and tribal entities; contribution claims between potentially liable parties; and insurance claims.
- Representing Fortune 500 companies in the investigation and remediation of properties in fourteen states, and defending related toxic tort and cost recovery claims. She has served as group counsel or chaired responsible party groups at five sites.
- Negotiating and mediating with insurance carriers regarding historical pollution claims as well as placement of future coverage to facilitate business transactions.
- Working with manufacturers to assess and manage environmental liabilities in acquisition and divestiture transactions.
- Consulting with the Institute for European Environmental Policy in London.
- Chairing Quarles & Brady’s Diversity Committee from its inception in 2001 through October 2008.
- Member of the Firm’s Executive Committee; current chair of the Firm’s Legal Personnel Committee.
Ms. Peterson’s visionary leadership in this role led her to being named the first recipient, in 2009, of the Quarles & Brady Sandra Day O'Connor Diversity Award.
Under Ms. Peterson’s leadership, the Firm has been recognized nationally for its diversity and mentoring programs, including ratings in the 2007/2008 Vault Guide to the Top 100 Law Firms as #17
Best for Diversity, #10 Best in Diversity with Respect to Women and #1 in Informal Training and Mentoring, as well as a 2007 ranking as the #1 Family-Friendly Law Firm by Yale Law Women. Quarles & Brady was also awarded the 2007 Pathfinder Award by Professional Dimensions for our “Women in Leadership” initiatives which support and advance professional women in the firm, and the 2005 Corporate Diversity Award by the Chicago Council for Urban Affairs.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 1983