Michael Warnecke is a partner in the firm's Patent Litigation practice. He
has focused his practice on major patent litigation cases, including
international patent, technology licensing and other intellectual property
matters. He has been first chair on numerous patent litigation cases in which
he represented companies such as Caterpillar Inc., Brunswick Corporation,
MetLife and Mitsubishi Corporation. In one of the most significant cases of his
career, Michael obtained successful damages and injunctive relief for Rockwell
International on a major trade secret matter. The case was later affirmed on
appeal where it garnered substantial national media attention for its innovative
use of computer graphics to present evidence.
More recently, in August
2010, Michael was lead trial counsel in the Riddell v. Schutt case. This patent
infringement case involved Riddell’s significant football helmet technology
developed to reduce concussions. The jury award of $30 million was the largest
in Wisconsin history for a patent case.
In the 1990s, Michael was
selected by the People's Republic of China trade delegation, led by Vice Premier
Li Lanqing, to host a two-day seminar for American automotive and after-market
companies, as well as the Chinese delegation on the legal aspects of doing
business in China.
At the request of the Chinese government, he also
provided advice on the redrafting of the 1984 Patent Act. Similarly, in 1993, he
provided advice on the Unfair Competition Act, which was adopted in 1994.
Michael’s extensive experience has led him to be retained as an expert
witness in many litigation matters.
Prior to joining Perkins Coie,
Michael was the chair of the Intellectual Property practice at Mayer, Brown,
Rowe & Maw in Chicago.
- Other Court Admissions —
- U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Trial Bar of the Northern District of Illinois
- Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association, Chicago
- Arbitrator, Patent Infringement, 1997
- Arbitrator, Trade Dress Infringement, 1994
- Listed among the top ten Illinois 2008 Super Lawyers as published by Law & Politics
- Listed in Chambers USA, "America's Leading Business Lawyers" and "America's Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers"
- Listed in Illinois Law & Politics, "Super Lawyers"
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, 2012
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000, Litigation Silver Band, 2012 - 2013
- Listed in the Law Bulletin Publishing Company's Leading Lawyers Network as Illinois Leading Lawyer
- Mediator, Patent Infringement
- Participated as Chairman of arbitrator's panel for complex beer distributorship contract arbitration, 1989 - 1990
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP, 2013
"Michael O'Warnecke's experience is beyond reproach. His attentiveness to detail and responsiveness is an 11 on a scale of 10. Michael commands the respect of judges, juries, and opposing counsel, and it is also rare but rewarding, to see that he has charisma, a well-rounded personality and an understanding that there are business decisions involved in every litigation that are paramount to the perceived success of a matter by the client."
"Mike Warnecke is the consummate patent trial lawyer and a true professional. He is a "go-to guy" in any patent or litigation related matter. I consider him at the top of the list when the call arrives due to his superior results and bang for the buck."
Write a client comment