Michael has more than 20 years' experience as a disputes/litigation lawyer. He has an accounting degree and a street-wise approach.
Michael specialises in:
- Recovery of money and assets out of trade, finance or fraudulent transactions, both in Australia and internationally.
- Corporate and personal insolvency/bankruptcy law, director's duties, prosecution and defence of liquidators or receivers claims.
- Transactional structuring, strategic risk management, and distressed company restructuring.
- Commercial property and lease disputes.
Michael is a tenacious litigator when required, and has conducted numerous court actions as counsel at all levels, including the High Court. However, Michael prefers to assist companies and financiers generate favourable business outcomes while keeping technical legal issues and protracted court disputes to a minimum.
Michael completed the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia Advanced Insolvency Course in 1992 and was one of the first lawyers in Australia to be admitted to full membership of the Association.
- US based global investment manager – Advising in relation to a major distressed debt investment and exit strategies in Australia.
- US, European and Asian corporate entities or insolvency administrators – Advising in relation to tracing and recovering assets in Australia.
- Australian based entities – Advising in relation to tracing and recovering assets taken overseas fraudulently and via more sophisticated methods such as transfer pricing.
- European based multinational – Advising in relation to a public sector (large infrastructure) procurement and unfair tender process in Australia.
- Substantial industrial/manufacturing facility – Advising the owner and part operator in relation to adverse claims made by the receiver appointed by the financier of a joint venturer.
- Financiers and large trade creditors – Advising in relation to enforcement of contracts, guarantees and securities including appointment of receivers, liquidators or company administrators.
- US legal firm - Obtaining evidence in Australia for use in the United States (New York Supreme Court) in connection with an international trade (export and import) dispute.
- US Multinational - Advice and facilitation of Australian company restructures made necessary by the collapse of US and European multinational parent companies through the Global Financial Crisis.
- Liquidators, Receivers, Directors – Numerous matters acting for or against liquidators, receivers, administrators, secured creditors and unsecured creditors with respect to the various complex issues arising from insolvency administrations, including claw-back and directors claims.
- Australian property owners or tenants – Numerous matters advancing or defending various claims under leases, guarantees, and other contracts including claims for make good/property damage