Michael Burnett is a partner at the firm who is an experienced trial lawyer practicing in the area of family law and complex litigation. He is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and he is licensed to practice law in both state and federal court.
Michael received his undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin in 1991 and his law degree from the University of Texas School of Law in 1994. He began his career as a law clerk to Judge Royal Furgeson, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas. Following his clerkship, he has been in private practice handling cases across the state of Texas. His divorce practice emphasizes significant property and custody cases, often involving large and complicated marital estates.
Michael is listed in the national publication of Best Lawyers in America for his work in the practice area of Family Law and has been recognized several times as a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Monthly Magazine. He has also received the highest AV-Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Michael has served as lead counsel in a number of large and complex cases throughout the state. His clients have included the founder and chairman of one of the most successful private equity firms in the country, a former Texas lieutenant governor, a head college coach, a national law firm, and scores of other successful business owners, entrepreneurs, executives, public officials, doctors, lawyers, and their spouses. His backgrounds in complex commercial litigation often gives him an advantage over other family lawyers when dealing with marital estates involving property valuation, tracing and characterization issues.
In addition to his trial practice, Michael has successfully represented clients in appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and Texas courts of appeals. His reported cases include:
- Coburn v. Moreland, 433 S.W. 3d 809 (Tex. App. – Austin 2014)
- Fish v. Texas Legislative Service, 2012 WL 254613 (Tex. App. – Austin 2012)
- 2800 La Frontera v. City of Round Rock, 2010 WL 143418 (Tex. App. – Austin 2010)
- Bryram v. Scott, 2009 WL 1896076 (Tex. App. – Austin 2009)
- Ex parte Reese, 23 S.W. 3d 54 (Tex. App. – Austin 2000)
- Saenz v. Southern Union Gas Co., 999 S.W. 2d 490 (Tex. App. – El Paso 1999)
- Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America in Family Law
- Named Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly Magazine, 2011-2014
- Named Rising Star by Texas Monthly Magazine, 2005, 2008-2009
- AV-Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional and Community Involvement
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Austin Family Law Advocates
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Bar Foundation
- Former Member, Standing Committee on Professionalism, State Bar of Texas
- Former Member, The Arc of the Capital Area, Ambassador's Council
- Former Board Member, Easter's Seals of Central Texas
- The Admirals Club of Austin
433 S.W.3d 809 (Tex. App. - Austin 2014) — Coburn v. Moreland
2012 WL 254612 (Tex. App. - Austin 2010) — Fish v. Texas Legislative Services
2010 WL 143418 (Tex. App. - Austin 2010) — 2800 La Frontera v. City of Round Rock