Michael Kraemer's practice is focused on labor and employment matters, representing business, governmental, and not-for-profit employers in all phases of labor and employment law matters. His practice includes representing employers in collective bargaining, union avoidance, matters before the NLRB, labor arbitrations, all aspects of EEO, ADEA, LMRA, ADA, FLSA, ERISA, wrongful discharge litigation and compliance, employment contracts, and non-compete litigation.
Prior to returning to White and Williams, Michael was a partner at Hinckley, Allen & Snyder LLP. Michael was a partner in White and Williams' Philadelphia office from 1985 to 2002, where he established and chaired the firm's Labor and Employment Group.
- Represented the State of Rhode Island as outside labor counsel, negotiating collective bargaining agreements with all of its major public sector unions, including AFSCME, SEIU, State Police, and Correctional Officers, obtaining a groundbreaking agreement which for the first time ever required all state employees to pay a portion of their health insurance premiums
- Obtained a defense jury verdict after a two-week trial on behalf of a supermarket chain in the U.S. District Court of Delaware in one of the earliest ADA cases, which set a number of important legal precedents
- Negotiated a favorable six-year labor contract with the Steelworkers Union on behalf of a manufacturer in Bucks County, PA, which included significant increases in employee health insurance premium payments
- Won an injunction on behalf of a trade group consisting of non-union construction contractors in RI Superior Court, invalidating pro-union regulations improperly enacted by the RI State Apprentice Council
- Successfully defended a Pennsylvania-based reseller of computer equipment in the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts in a case brought by a terminated sales executive under MA's draconian wage and hour laws
View more representative matters
Recognition & Involvement
Michael has been AV® rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system. He is also recognized as a "Best Lawyer" by Woodward/White Inc. in the areas of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management and Litigation – Labor & Employment categories. Michael is currently listed in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for the category of Labor & Employment.
He has been the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award given by the Amherst College Alumni Council.
Michael serves as a Trustee for the Payomet Performing Arts Center in Truro, Massachusetts. He served as a Trustee for the Rocky Hill School in East Greenwich, Rhode Island and as President of the Amherst Association of Philadelphia.