Michael Hallerud has 40+ years of experience in all aspects of labor and employment law. He has led scores of trials and appeals of discrimination, wrongful termination, ERISA, whistleblower and Sarbanes-Oxley retaliation cases and other employment controversies throughout the United States. He also conducts corporate internal investigations and handles state and federal administrative proceedings. His traditional labor practice includes representation disputes, strikes, union contract negotiations and labor arbitrations.
What do you focus on?
I focus my practice on delivering efficient, practical results for business problems arising out of employment. The efficiencies are measured by minimizing direct costs and disruption of business priorities, management morale and employee relations.
My 40+ years of experience, including eight years as Chief Labor Counsel and Assistant General Counsel of The Boeing Company, give me a unique perspective into aligning the responsibilities and actions of outside counsel with the business objectives of clients.
My litigation experience spans:
- 17 states and the District of Columbia
- From single-plaintiff to massive class action and multi-plaintiff cases
- From rural courthouses to federal district and appeals courts
- From routine contract disputes to highly charged or sensitive controversies arising from egregious personal misconduct or business frauds and failures
- From nuisance cases to bet-the-company litigation
My non-litigation experience includes:
- Assisting acquirers and acquirees in M&A transactions
- Pre-closing due diligence
- Drafting employment terms for the sale documents
- Negotiating executive employment, intellectual property and restrictive covenant agreements
- Integration and disaggregation of workforces
- WARN counseling and drafting
- Collective bargaining negotiations
- Design of union and nonunion grievance and arbitration programs
- Negotiating executive employment agreements and separation arrangements
I am industry-agnostic over time. Presently, I am very involved with the health care industry—HMOs, hospitals and medical groups. I have also concentrated on the defense and aerospace, freight-forwarding, banking, technology, heavy manufacturing and airline industries.