Matt Sawchak focuses his practice on business litigation, antitrust, and appeals.
Mr. Sawchak represents parties in antitrust litigation, as well as other types of business litigation, in federal and state courts. Business North Carolina magazine has profiled Mr. Sawchak twice as the top antitrust lawyer in North Carolina.
Parties often retain Mr. Sawchak as new or additional counsel on appeal. The North Carolina State Bar has named Mr. Sawchak as a board-certified specialist in appellate practice. He has also chaired the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Rules Committee, which makes recommendations to the North Carolina Supreme Court on issues of appellate procedure.
Mr. Sawchak often handles cases on the scope and limits of government authority. He has handled lawsuits against, and on behalf of, government agencies. Indeed, several government agencies have retained Mr. Sawchak to counsel them on antitrust compliance and other sensitive matters.
Mr. Sawchak is a member of the leadership of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section. He is a senior editor of the Antitrust Law Journal, a leading peer-reviewed journal on antitrust and competition law.
Mr. Sawchak has written or co-authored two North Carolina Law Review articles on the law of unfair and deceptive trade practices. He is the chief editor of What’s Fair?, a blog on this subject. He often speaks to groups of lawyers, judges, and professors on the law in this field.
Mr. Sawchak is profiled as a Litigation Star in the 2015 edition of Benchmark Litigation andBenchmark Appellate. He also appears in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2006-2015), North Carolina Super Lawyers (2006-2015), and Best Lawyers in America (2003-2015). He has been named twice as a "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in the areas of Appellate Practice and Antitrust Litigation.
Mr. Sawchak graduated cum laude in 1984 from Harvard University, where he was a National Merit Scholar. He earned his J.D. and LL.M. with honors from Duke Law School in 1989. He was the editor-in-chief of the Duke Law Journal.
Mr. Sawchak clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas when Justice Thomas served on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Before his judicial clerkship, he clerked in the Office of the Solicitor General of the United States.
Awards and Honors
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business®, "Leader in the Field" (2009-present)
- Benchmark Litigation and Benchmark Appellate, North Carolina Litigation Star (2013-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2003-present)
- Raleigh "Lawyer of the Year" for Appellate Practice (2014 & 2016) and Litigation—Antitrust (2012 & 2015)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite
- Top Antitrust Lawyer in North Carolina (2002 and 2003)
- Hall of Fame (2003-present)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine (2006-present)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Chair of Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section and Appellate Rules Committee
- American Bar Association
- Member of Antitrust Section Leadership
- Senior Editor of Antitrust Law Journal
- North Carolina Business Court, Rules Advisory Committee
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Civil Rules Committee
Prior Legal Experience
- Clerkship, The Honorable Clarence Thomas, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- North Carolina, 1989
- United States District Courts
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 1992
- Middle District of North Carolina, 1992
- Western District of North Carolina, 1992
- United States Supreme Court, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1996