Over the past 30 years, Marv has litigated 40-plus infringement actions and prosecuted patents and trademarks before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for international, Fortune 500, and midsized U.S. clients, including many patents of major economic significance.
He regularly counsels clients on validity and infringement issues. In addition, Marv has taught as an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law School and has written a treatise entitled Taxation of Intellectual Property and Technology, published by Matthew Bender.
Marv served on the firm's Management Committee in 2004 and 2005.
Before Stites & Harbison
After receiving his undergraduate mechanical engineering degree and his MBA degree, Marv served as a patent examiner in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. After law school, he joined Larson & Taylor, an intellectual property firm which merged with Stites & Harbison on Jan. 1, 2004.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Marv is active in a number of alumni associations. He has served as president of the Wharton Club of Washington and is the lifetime president of his graduating class from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Lead counsel in a patent infringement action against a Fortune 100 company in the food industry. Settled by payment of $40 million to the patent owner.
- Served as lead counsel in a series of infringement actions to enforce a patent for a British company in the field of gas/water pipelines which involved licenses resulting in many millions of dollars in royalties.
- Serves as lead counsel in patent infringement actions against multiple defendants in the bulk storage and delivery industry.
- Defended a client in the machine tool industry against a patent infringement action.
- Defended a manufacturer of sunglasses against a patent infringement action, which included obtaining $70,000 in attorney's fees against the plaintiff.
- Defended a manufacturer of mechanical egg sorting equipment against a patent infringement action.
- Served as legal counsel in a patent infringement action in the field of swimming equipment.
- Also involved in patent infringement litigations involving medical devices, ice cream vending machines, computer stands, novel key chain lights, box folding machines, packages, pistol safety latches, several trademark litigations and a contested arbitration.
Patent Attorney — Served as lead patent counsel for defendants in litigation against five sports equipment companies.