Marko practices civil and commercial litigation with a focus on class actions, defamation, securities litigation, copyright, product liability cases, and commercial arbitrations. He has appeared as lead counsel before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, at all levels of court in British Columbia, and as defence counsel before the British Columbia Securities Commission. Marko was the head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group at Lawson Lundell.
Marko is a regular commentator on legal affairs on CBC television, CBC radio, CKNW radio, News 1130, the Vancouver Sun, the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Star, BC Business magazine, Lexpert magazine, and Canadian Corporate Counsel magazine.
Marko is also a regular contributor to Lawson Lundell’s Western Canada Business Litigation Blog, a resource that examines current trends and interesting issues emerging in the legal and business communities.
Recently, Marko has:
• Represented a lender in the successful settlement of a class action concerning the alleged miscalculation of interest rates under adjustable residential mortgages (Bell v. Merix Financial Inc., BCSC, Jan 20, 2015)
• Represented a forest company in the successful settlement of a class action concerning reductions to post-retirement health benefits (Dyer v. Weyerhaeuser Co. Ltd., BCSC, Sept 12, 2014)
• Successfully defended a $53-million defamation action involving an international mining project (Monument Mining Ltd. v. Balendran Chong & Bodi, 2012 BCSC 1769)
• Represented the BC Civil Liberties Assn. before the Supreme Court of Canada in opposing a publication ban over allegedly defamatory speech (A.B. v. Bragg Communications Inc., 2012 SCC 46)
• Represented dissident shareholders in successfully setting aside the results of a proxy contest at a corporate Annual General Meeting (International Energy and Minerals Resources v. Mosquito Consolidated Gold Mines Limited, 2012 BCSC 1191)
• Represented the Government of Canada in tobacco class action and health care cost recovery actions (B.C. v. Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd., 2009 BCCA 540; Knight v. Imperial Tobacco Ltd., 2007 BCSC 964)