Mark Schneider is a partner in Perkins Coie's Litigation and Environment, Energy & Resources practices and the Chair of the firm's national Energy and Environmental Litigation group. In over 20 years of legal practice, he has focused on environmental, energy, natural resources, and land use counseling and litigation. Mark's practice involves the full range of environmental, energy, and natural resource issues. He assists clients with permitting, compliance, and regulatory matters under federal and state laws, including the Clean Water Act (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), and National and State Environmental Policy Acts. He also represents clients in a wide variety of environmental litigation matters, including CERCLA and state Superfund actions and multiparty allocation proceedings; natural resource damage claims; defense of project permits, licenses, and other governmental approvals; government enforcement actions; investigations and white collar defense; toxic tort; insurance recovery; and citizen suits. Additionally, he assists clients with corporate and real estate transactions, due diligence investigations, brownfields redevelopment, audits, environmental management systems, and climate change issues.
- Commercial Litigation
- Energy Law
- Environmental Law
- Litigation - Environmental
- Natural Resources Law
- Boeing Co. v. Cascade Corp. —
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon. Recovered past environmental response costs and future costs in CERCLA contribution action against neighboring landowner. 920 F. Supp. 1121 (D. Or. 1996), aff'd, 207 F.3d 1177 (9th Cir. 2000)
- Snoqualmie Indian Tribe v. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission —
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Licensing and successful defense of challenge to FERC license for operation of hydroelectric project. 545 F.3d 1207 (9th Cir. 2008)
- Snoqualmie Valley Preservation Alliance v. United States Army Corps of Engineers and Puget Sound Energy Inc — U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. Represented defendant-intervenor in challenge to Clean Water Act permit for hydroelectric project. Won dismissal of lawsuit and affirmance of judgment on appeal. 2011 WL 1215605 (W.D. Wash.), aff’d, 683 F.3d 1155 (9th Cir. 2012)
- Key Tronic Corp. v. United States — U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington. Represented Key Tronic at trial, on appeal, and in U.S. Supreme Court in action defining recovery of attorneys' fees under CERCLA. 766 F. Supp. 865 (E.D. Wash. 1991), rev'd, 984 F. 2d 1025 (9th Cir. 1993), aff'd in part, rev'd in part, 511 U.S. 809 (1994)
- United States v. Dawn Mining Co. — U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington. Defended former mine operator in CERCLA action concerning former mining site in which former operator established liability of United States. 504 F. Supp. 2d 1050 (E.D. Wash. 2007)
"Mark Schneider is an experienced litigator and environmental lawyer who has done consistently excellent work on many matters we have worked on together over a period of about 15 years. He is especially good in the area of client relations."
"Mark brings a wealth of experience, outstanding skills, and a genuine interest in his clients. Consistently, he is responsive, cost effective, and meets or exceeds our expectations. He has built a very strong reputation within our company and, yet, he tackles every new issue (small or large) as if it was his first opportunity to make a good impression on a new client."
Write a client comment