Mark practices corporate and securities law with a focus on M&A and corporate finance. Mark regularly acts on significant corporate transactions, including hostile and friendly business acquisitions, RTOs, joint ventures and equity and debt financing transactions. Mark has particular expertise in corporate governance matters, has written and spoken extensively on corporate governance issues, is an experienced public company director, holds the ICD.D designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors and is a Six Sigma Greenbelt (Shulich). Mark has been actively involved with firm management and has been past chair of Osler’s Corporate Practice Group and Corporate Finance Practice Group. Mark has considerable international experience having practised at Osler’s offices in both London and Singapore and having chaired Osler’s International Practice Initiative. Mark has also written and spoken extensively on numerous corporate and securities law topics, lectured in securities law at various Canadian law schools and has taught at the Bar Admission Course. Mark is a director of Almonty Industries Inc. (TSXV:AII), Toronto East General Hospital and Goodwill Industries Toronto and is a past director of Entertainment One Ltd. (LSE:ETO).
- Entertainment One in its step up to the premium list of the London Stock Exchange.
- Entertainment One in its acquisition of Alliance Films.
- Hale Capital in its investment in Midway Gold.
- Osmington in its sale of Redcliff Realty.
- McGraw-Hill Financial in its acquisition of R2 Financial Technologies.
- Cara in its bid for Prime Restaurants.
- Osmington in its investment in True North Sports and Entertainment and the acquisition of the Atlanta Thrashers.
- DHL in its sale of its Canadian domestic operations to TransForce.
- Lavalife in its sale to First Media Group.
- Swisher in its TSX reverse takeover of Coobrands Inc.
- Entertainment One in its continuation from the Cayman Islands to Canada and its step up to the standard list of the London Stock Exchange.
- CNW Group in its acquisition of dna13.
- Schneider Power in its share exchange sale to Quantum Fuel Systems Technologies.
- Marwyn Capital in its acquisition of Entertainment One Income Fund through an AIM listed shell.
- Pala Investments Holdings Limited in its take-over bid for Norcast Income Fund.
- The independent directors of Great Lakes Carbon Income Fund in its sale to Rain Commodities.
- Glamis Gold Inc. in its merger with Goldcorp Inc.
- ThyssenKrupp AG in its bid for Dofasco.
- PBB Global Logistics Income Fund in its defence of a hostile bid by Livingston International Income Fund.
- Neo Materials Technology in its dissident proxy battle.
- Hydrogenics Corporation in its take-over bid for Stuart Energy Systems Corporation.