Mark McHughan is a partner in Gowlings' Toronto office. His practice focuses on commercial real estate matters with an emphasis on acquisitions and divestitures of individual properties and portfolios, including office, retail, industrial, multi-residential and hotels. His practice also includes extensive involvement in the areas of commercial leasing; construction and development; and innovative structuring of infrastructure projects.
Mark acts for a number of international and domestic real estate investors, including public companies, pension funds, banks and fund managers, who have diversified international portfolios of real estate holdings.
Mark also acts for many landlords and tenants ranging from single-location landlords and tenants to tenants with hundreds of locations and landlords owning large multi-tenant commercial and retail projects.
Mark has been an instructor for the Bar Admission Course in the Real Estate Section.
• 1982 Ontario
• University of Western Ontario, LLB
• Ranked as a leading lawyer in the Real Estate Practice Area in the Chambers Global Guide for 2004-2009
• Best Lawyers in Canada 2010, Real Estate Law
• Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Real Property Section
• International Council of Shopping Centres
• American Bar Association
Area(s) of Expertise
• Real Estate & Urban Development
• Financial Services