Marcus Helt has a national debtor-focused bankruptcy practice, primarily comprising the restructuring of companies in and out of bankruptcy, debtors' rights, debtor-in-possession financers and acquisitions of distressed assets and companies. His clients are increasingly coming from the energy sector. Marcus is known for his creative, solutions-oriented approach in Chapter 11 proceedings. He has served as Chapter 11 counsel to the following:
- Dallas Proton Treatment Center, LLC, et al., in their Chapter 11 proceedings
- Color Star Growers of Colorado, Inc., et al., in their Chapter 11 proceedings
- Team Express Distributing, LLC, in its Chapter 11 proceeding
- Chapter 11 trustee for the bankruptcy estates of Xtreme Iron LLC and Xtreme Iron Holdings LLC
- Chapter 11 trustee for the bankruptcy estate of American Housing Foundation Inc
- Renaissance Hospitals in the Chapter 11 bankruptcies, resulting in plan confirmation and §363 sale of assets
- Dorado Beckville Partners I LP in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy, resulting in plan confirmation and full payout plus interest to unsecured creditors
- Debtor-in-possession lender to American LaFrance in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy, resulting in plan confirmation and successful exit from bankruptcy
- Brazos Electric Power Cooperative Inc. in confirmation of a Chapter 11 plan, resulting in full payout plus interest to unsecured creditors
- Buyer of substantially all of the debtor’s assets in Fleming Foods Inc. Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Marcus has served as Court-Appointed Receiver of Sethi Petroleum, LLC, a company engaged in the acquisition of non-operating mineral interests.
Marcus also represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Mid-States Supply Company, Inc., an oil-field supply company, in its Chapter 11 proceeding. He has also represented the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in Moore Medical Center LLC, resulting in a §363 sale of its assets and corresponding liquidation and was counsel to Brook Mays Music Co. in the § 363 sale of all of its assets and corresponding liquidation. He served as co-counsel to the Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee in Farmland Industries Inc., resulting in plan confirmation and full payout plus interest to unsecured creditors.
Additionally, Marcus has represented a number of debtors in successfully executing an out-of-court restructuring of debts.
In addition, Marcus handles virtually all types of bankruptcy-related litigation. For example, he was trial counsel to the liquidating trustee in the prosecution of $700,000 preference verdict.
Other Court Admissions — Texas State Courts (2000)
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Kansas State Courts
U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
Missouri State Courts
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri