M. Binford (Ben) Williams, Jr., has over twenty-five years of experience in large, complex commercial transactions. Ben's practice is fast-paced and, on a regular basis, includes nuanced structures and innovative financing alternatives with his lender and borrower clients alike. His work includes significant representation of lenders in commercial loans (C&I, real estate, bonds, interest rate swaps), developers in the development, construction, and operations of complex real estate projects (apartment complexes, manufacturing facilities, shopping centers), and corporations in acquisition of subsidiaries and properties. He serves as outside general counsel for several corporations in various industries.
Ben has practiced at Watkins & Eager since graduating from law school in 1986. Since 2003, Ben has served as the Managing Member of the law firm. Ben also chairs the Commercial Lending and Finance Practice Group.
Ben, along with Molly Jeffcoat Moody, is a co-author of Commercial Finance 701, a continuing series on commercial loans written exclusively for the Mississippi Business Journal. The series is geared to lenders, developers, investors and transactional attorneys.
- Co-Author, "Loans Disguised as Government Bonds (BOANS)," Mississippi Business Journal, April 16, 2015
- Co-Author, "Negotiating Commercial Loans - Is There an App for That?," Mississippi Business Journal, April 4, 2015
- Co-Author, " Interest Rate Swaps: Don't Play with Matches," Mississippi Business Journal, March 20, 2015
- Co-Author, " Title Certificates, Reports, Commitments & Policies: The Difference may be your Job!," Mississippi Business Journal, March 6, 2015
- Co-Author, "Never Trust a Trust," Mississippi Business Journal, February 19, 2015
- Co-Author, "Term Sheets & Commitment Letters," Mississippi Business Journal, February 5, 2015
- "Letters of Credit," The Encyclopedia of Mississippi Law Chapter, 47 (2001)
Multi-Family Housing \ New Construction — Numerous new construction loans for multi-family housing: $100,000,000+
Commercial Loans (C&I) — Numerous and ongoing representation of banks on large secured C&I lending transactiosn ranging from $5MM - $100MM.
Letter of Credit - New Construction — Complex Letter of Credit transaction on large office building: $50,000,000+
Gaming - Senior Secured Credit Facility — Indian Gaming Facility - $78MM - commercial bank syndication - lead counsel to Arranger, Admin Agent and Lender
Low Income Housing Tax Credits - Lender Representation — Ongoing and regular representation of multiple lenders in low income housing tax credit transactions