Laura Handman is the co-chair of the firm’s appellate practice and divides her time between the New York and D.C. offices. For thirty years, Laura has been providing pre-publication counseling and litigation services from complaint through trial and appeal to U.S. and foreign broadcasters, film studios, and book, magazine, newspaper and Internet publishers and non-profits. Laura has extensive experience in libel, newsgathering, privacy, right of publicity, reporter’s privilege and First Amendment matters. She obtained the first decision in U.S. courts refusing to enforce foreign libel judgments as inconsistent with the First Amendment and was involved in the passage of the SPEECH Act codifying those decisions as federal law. Laura has served as an expert on American libel law in actions in England, Northern Ireland and Australia. She has obtained the first decisions applying the D.C. Anti-SLAPP Act in federal court and has written four amicus briefs on Anti-SLAPP issues. She represents news organizations, reporters, and Internet firms in national security investigations. She brings recognized expertise to clients in copyright litigation and was appointed a special master in S.D.N.Y. to review advertising and promotion in a civil fraud action.
Laura’s clients include: Amazon.com, Associated Newspapers, Atlantic Media Company, Bloomberg, Center for American Progress, China Central Television (CCTV), Discovery Communications, Dow Jones, The Economist, HarperCollins, Hearst Corporation, MainJustice.com, Microsoft, New York Daily News, New York Post, National Public Radio (NPR), Pew Charitable Trust, Random House, Straus Newspapers, Times Newspapers Ltd., TripAdvisor, U.S. News & World Report, Yale Alumni Magazine, and Yelp.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York