Laura Upchurch practices primarily in the areas of civil litigation; probate, guardianships and trusts; business law; and estate planning. In her litigation practice, Upchurch represents parties in contested cases involving trusts and estates, commercial disputes related to business interests, and general civil litigation. She regularly appears in trial and appellate courts throughout Texas, both in jury trials and matters heard by the judge.
Upchurch is experienced in representing executors, administrators, beneficiaries and creditors in both complex and simple estate administrations and probate proceedings, and in representing individuals in trust administrations and guardianship proceedings. She also serves as an attorney ad litem, guardian ad litem and court investigator in guardianship actions. Upchurch prepares wills, trusts, powers of attorney, healthcare advance directives, and other related documents.
Upchurch counsels owners of businesses and professional practices about legal issues involving contracts, sales and leases of assets, operations and employment matters. She also handles real estate matters such as leases, contracts, sales, purchases, title matters and rights of property owners, landlords and tenants.
• Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2013-2014 in the field of Elder Law (Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- B.A., History, with high honors, The University of Texas at Austin, 1981
- Phi Beta Kappa
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 1992
- National Order of the Barristers; Board of Advocates - Chairman
- Texas State Courts
- U. S. District Courts, Southern and Western Districts
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- State Bar of Texas (1992)
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Council (2012 - ; Chair- Guardianship Committee)
- Texas Bar Foundation (1998 - )
- Washington County Bar Association; Brazos County Bar Association
Ms. Upchurch has spoken at numerous continuing education courses for the State Bar of Texas, including the annual Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course; Estate Planning and Probate Drafting; Estate Planning and Probate 101; Building Block of Wills, Estates and Probate; Advanced Real Estate Course; and State Bar College Summer School. She has also made local presentations for the Houston Bar Association and the Midland Memorial Foundation.