Laura Besvinick has more than 30 years of experience litigating complex cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Her practice focuses on the representation of insurers in bad faith actions, complex coverage disputes, and consumer class actions. She also advises insurers with respect to claims-handling and bad faith issues, and serves as monitoring counsel, often in connection with professional liability matters. Ms. Besvinick also regularly represents accountants and attorneys in malpractice actions, securities class actions and before the Securities and Exchange Commission. She also represents companies in commercial disputes in arbitration.
— REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
Ms. Besvinick has been involved in the following matters:
- Obtained defense award in favor of international telecommunications manufacturer where alleged damages exceeded $200 million following multi-week arbitration trial.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in an insurance coverage dispute involving the unauthorized settlement of an environmental mass tort action valued at $200 million. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement. Ms. Besvinick also represented the insurer on appeal and obtained an affirmance of the judgment.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of bad faith action against insurer for alleged breach of duty to defend.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of putative class action against insurer for alleged failure to properly pay hurricane claims.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of all claims against a Big Four accounting firm in international audit malpractice action arising from failure of a foreign bank.
- Obtained dismissal of international federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) action against offshore bank and sustained dismissal on appeal.
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Supreme Court of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court