For more than 30 years, LaBella Alvis’ passion has been going to court. However, if you ask her to tell you about her most fun experience as a lawyer, she’ll tell you it was learning how to parallel-park an eighteen-wheeler at the Mayflower Trucking School. The four-day school helped her understand the many factors that truckers have to consider when making split-second decisions on the roads, a unique experience that helps Labella defend trucking cases.
In addition to handling trucking and aviation matters, LaBella has experience with professional liability, liquor liability and coverage cases. Her professional liability work includes hundreds of EEOC and employment liability claims, medical malpractice defense and construction/architect liability. LaBella brings an extra dimension to liquor liability claims due to her experience as a certified ABC Board vendor trainer.
Away from the office, LaBella is an avid horseback rider. She competes in hunter/jumper and dressage disciplines and has won many equestrian competitions, including finishing first in two divisions during the 2010 State championship.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Birmingham Inns of Court: President, Fall 2015 – April 2016
- Samford University Cumberland School of Law: Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy Program, 1992-94; Member, Annual Fund Advisory Board; President of Cumberland Alumni Club, 2004; Cumberland Advisory Board, 2008-2011
- Birmingham Bar Association: Member, Young Lawyers Section, 1986-1990; President-Elect, 1989; President, 1990; Executive Committee, 1990, 1994-96; Women Lawyers Section: Membership Chair, 1996; Treasurer, 1997; Distinguished Service Award, 2007
- Birmingham Bar Foundation: Board of Directors, 1997-2009; Secretary, 2006-07; Medical Liaison Committee, present; Producer, “Cabaret” comprised of judges and lawyers to raise money for Children’s Hospital on behalf of the Birmingham Bar Foundation, 2001
- Alabama State Bar: Judicial Liaison Committee; Lawyers Helping Lawyers Committee; Standing Rules Committee
- American Bar Association (ABA): Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute (DRI): Employment Law Committee; Medical Defense and Health Law Committee
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA): Member
- Federation of Insurance and Corporate Counsel (FICC): Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC): Emeritus
- Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Association: Co-Founder; Past Director
- Canterbury Methodist Church: Member; Small Group Facilitator
- Alabama Law Foundation
Awards & Recognitions
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell*
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2011- 2016 in the field of personal injury litigation – defendants
- Selected for inclusion in Alabama Super Lawyers® 2010 and 2011 in the fields of insurance coverage and personal injury defense (general and medical malpractice) and 2012-2015 in the field of personal injury defense, general
- Listed as one of the Top 25 Women Lawyers in Alabama 2008 and 2013 – a list comprised of the women lawyers who received the highest number of points in the Alabama Super Lawyers nomination, research and blue ribbon review process
- Selected by the National Diversity Council as one of its “Top 15 Business Women in Alabama” in 2015
- Listed by B-Metro magazine among its 2016 “Top Attorneys” and 2015 “Top Women Lawyers”
- Selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation’s list of Alabama Litigation Stars in the field of products liability (2010 -2015), Top 250 Women in Litigation – 2012-2014
- Birmingham Business Journal, “Top 40 Professionals Under 40” Award, 1995
- Birmingham Legal Secretaries Association, “Lawyer of the Year,” 1992-93
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Emerging Issue of Expert Back-Tracking in Litigation of Liquor Liability Cases, Christian & Small Nonstop Insights Blog (May 2015)
- Presenter, Emerging Issues in the Litigation and Coverage of Liquor Liability Cases, CLM 2015 Retail, Restaurant & Hospitality Conference (February 2015)
- Co-Author with Duncan Y. Manley, The Evolution of an Idea: The Vision of a Firm, The Primerus Paradigm, 48 (Winter 2011).
- Co-Author with Duncan Y. Manley, Be Young, Be Smart, Be Good at Marketing, The Primerus Paradigm, 12 (Spring 2009).