Khaled practices mining law, advising on acquisitions and dispositions of mines and significant mining projects and mine financing and on a broad range of mining related matters, both domestically and internationally, including the negotiation of earn-in, joint venture, strategic alliance and royalty and streaming agreements, mineral title review, and all aspects of the mining life-cycle (from exploration, development and production, to reclamation and mine closure).
Khaled also practises corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. Khaled advises clients on a broad range of transactions, both domestic and cross-border, and in many different industries, including share and asset acquisitions and divestitures, debt and equity financings and corporate structuring and reorganizations. He acts for a number of private equity clients including HSBC Capital (Canada) Inc., Tricor Pacific Capital Inc., Wellspring Capital Management and Yellow Point Equity Partners.
Khaled also advises clients in the energy sector, having significant experience dealing with contractual issues in connection with the purchase and sale of energy and other energy related transactions.
Khaled has recently acted for:
- An international mining company in connection with the purchase of a large scale open pit gold mine based in Nevada, USA and the sale of advanced exploration properties located in British Columbia, Mexico, Chile and Western Australia
- An intermediate gold mining company, providing external legal support in connection with all of its existing and proposed Canadian mines
- The exploration group of a major international mining company advising on acquisitions and dispositions of mining projects across Canada and around the world
- A gold and silver developer providing ongoing legal support and advice in respect of all aspects of the developer's business including land tenure, permitting and licensing in connection with a significant project in Nunavut
- Talisman Energy Inc. in connection with the sale of the Sukunka coal property, located in Northeastern British Columbia to Xstrata Coal
- The seller of an advanced exploration project located in Nunavut
- The buyer of an exploration project in Peru
- An international mining company in connection with an investment in a mining project located in Jamaica
- An electric utility in the $825 million purchase of an undivided interest in a 493 MW hydro-electric dam in British Columbia and the complex operating arrangements between the electric utility and its private sector co-owner
- An international mining company in connection with the sale of a large land package located in Alaska