Kelly practices business and securities law with a focus on:
- acquisitions and dispositions of companies and their corporate assets,
- structuring of partnerships, buy-sell and succession arrangements for closely held businesses,
- representing both issuers and investors (including institutional investors, family offices and individual investors) in connection with equity financings of privately held companies,
- representation of start-up and emerging growth companies,
- structure and formation of new business ventures,
- structuring of joint venture and other strategic partnering transactions and
- structuring incentive or "sweat equity" arrangements for key management personnel.
Kelly also serves as de facto general counsel for many of his operating company clients, providing counsel on a variety of corporate and transactional matters, including:
- distribution and marketing agreements,
- key agreements with customers and vendors,
- management, consulting and service agreements and
- other commercial agreements.
In 2004, Kelly was named a Texas Rising Star by Texas Monthly magazine in the area of corporate law. Kelly has been named to the Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Corporate Governance Law (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) and Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2013, 2014, 2015) and was named the Best Lawyers® 2015 Mergers and Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year” in Austin.
Prior to co-founding DMC, Kelly practiced corporate law as a solo practitioner from 2002 until December 2005. Prior to founding his solo practice, Kelly was a corporate securities and venture capital attorney for Vinson & Elkins L.L.P.
Kelly is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas and is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas and the Travis County Bar Association. Kelly received his B.A. and his J.D. from the University of Texas.