- Commercial Litigation
- Class Actions
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Criminal Defense
With over two decades of experience and nearly 100 cases to jury verdict, Kay Anderle has earned a reputation as a leading trial attorney. Kay began her legal career 23 years ago in the Orange County District Attorney’s Office where she spent 12 years prosecuting criminal cases. She was one of its most respected prosecutors, and was assigned to several of the most prestigious trial units.
In 2004 Kay entered private practice as a criminal defense attorney, bringing with her an unparalleled perspective on criminal prosecutions. Her negotiation and trial skills have made her one of the most effective defense lawyers in Southern California. She has handled all types of cases but emphasizes white-collar criminal defense.
Kay has extended her practice to include civil litigation. In 2013, she was co-lead plaintiff counsel on a business fraud trial which resulted in a jury award of over $3,375,000 in economic and over $1,465,000 in punitive damages. In 2009 and 2011, Kay was on the trial team with Jennifer Keller (who was lead counsel) in two major civil cases. In 2011, she worked with Ms. Keller in the retrial of the epic doll battle Mattel v. MGA, in which MGA was defending against copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation claims and prosecuting its own trade secret misappropriation action against Mattel. The jury rejected all of Mattel’s claims of copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation and awarded $85,000,000 in damages to MGA Entertainment; the judge added another $85 million in punitive damages. (Although the judgment was reversed on appeal, the client’s $139 million attorneys’ fee award remained.) In 2009, Kay worked with Ms. Keller in a business fraud trial in which the jury awarded $350 million, the largest jury verdict in California that year.
Kay is listed in the elite “The Best Lawyers in America®” in both white collar and non-white collar criminal defense. Kay’s versatility as a trial attorney and skilled negotiator gives her clients a multi-dimensional advocate who can quickly assess their case and devise a winning strategy.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (by invitation only, limited to top ½ of 1 percent of lawyers nationally)
- Los Angeles Magazine, “Southern California Superlawyers, White Collar Criminal Defense” (2015)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers In America®, S. Naifeh & G. Smith (2011-15), White Collar and Non White Collar Criminal Defense, Orange County Lawyer of the Year 2014 (Criminal Defense: Non-White Collar)
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers in California (2011-2014)
- California Lawyer Magazine, 2012 Lawyers of the Year, Honorable Mention (Litigation)
- OC Metro Magazine, Orange County’s Top Lawyers for 2013 (criminal defense)
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rated, Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Outstanding Prosecutor, Orange County District Attorney (1995)