Joseph has acted in a wide variety of commercial litigation files for major corporate clients. He devotes a substantial portion of his practice to acting for corporate taxpayers in disputes with federal, Ontario and Alberta taxation authorities. Joseph has acted in insolvency matters for debtors, creditors, receivers and trustees in bankruptcy. He has also acted in matters involving issues of professional negligence and professional discipline, particularly in respect of chartered accountants. Joseph has chaired administrative tribunals in the health industry dealing with physicians’ hospital privileges, and the licensing and registration of various types of health facilities. In addition, he has appeared before all levels of courts in Ontario and Alberta and the Supreme Court of Canada as well as many boards and tribunals.
- Successfully represented Jazz Aviation in a complex cost benchmarking arbitration against Air Canada.
- Canada v. GlaxoSmithKline Inc., 2012 SCC 52, appeal to the Supreme Court regarding the transfer price of the active ingredient in a branded pharmaceutical product.
- General Electric Capital Canada Inc. v. Her Majesty the Queen (Tax Court of Canada).
- Gottlieb v. KPMG LLP et al (Ontario Superior Court; Court of Appeal for Ontario).
- Bell Canada v. Minister of Finance of Ontario (Ontario Superior Court).
- Bourgault Industries Limited v. Her Majesty the Queen (Tax Court of Canada; Federal Court of Appeal).
- Magna International Inc. v. Dofasco Inc. (Arbitration).